Author Topic: Master Password not working on one device  (Read 3849 times)

Offline philvr6a

Master Password not working on one device
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
My Master Password is no longer working on my PC (windows 8). I have used the same Master PW for several months. I have a synced iPhone. That account is working fine, sync is up to date as of yesterday when I last accessed the PC vault.

I have checked my caps lock, have used a remote keyboard as well as the loptop PC one, no go.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Master Password not working on one device
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
Is there anything "uncommon" you did before it stopped working?
Mainly change of password to windows account, update of avast to newer version, turned synchronization on or off, enabled or disabled one touch login or it just stopped working without any "uncommon" activity?
I believe you are having problem but reports like this are very rare and we are not able reproduce it so more information I can get could give me a better chance to understand and possibly reproduce the problem so we can kill it off.
We also did a change in the past which ensures only one password storage per windows user. Due to this change it may happen that you have had old vault in your storage created with some password and by deleting current one the application automatically started loading this old one so you may be entering correct password but for different password storage.
Do you see forgot master password option in Avast->Settings->Passwords (in top of the frame)? If so you can delete password storage, create it again and get your data back through synchronization.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:36:09 AM »
Do you have synchronization enabled? If so I can guide you to remove your current windows storage and get the data from synchronization.

Offline Effi

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
i have the same problem "Master Password not working on one device (PC) 
The synchronization is enabled.      can you guide me (as well),  how to remove my current windows storage and get the data from synchronization. ?

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
Sorry for late reply

Please follow this guide to remove you locked vault and taking data from synchronization afterwards
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=209589.msg1425761#msg1425761