Author Topic: Getting notifications for a phone I don't own anymore  (Read 1903 times)

Offline sergio.arellano

Getting notifications for a phone I don't own anymore
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Greetings,

A few years ago I installed Avast on an old samsung S4. For security purposes while I was traveling abroad, I set my kid's phone number to receive alerts and be able to wipe clean the phone in case I lost it, or gotten stolen.  About 3 years ago I gave this phone to my landscaper and it looks like he has given it to someone else because my son keeps getting alerts about a SIM card change, twice a day, for the last 4 days.

I've signed into avast.com and removed the device from the account, but the notifications are still coming.  What can I do to really remove the phone and/or any link from that phone to my account and/or my son's phone?

thank you

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
Re: Getting notifications for a phone I don't own anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
Hi, unfortunately by removing the device from the account you lost the option to remotely control the device from the account (or disable the alerts).

There are to options now:

1. As you can see the sender's phone number, we recommend to contact him/her, explain the situation and ask him/her to uninstall the Anti-Theft:

- go to your mobile deviceĀ“s settings
- go to "Security"
- go to "Device administrators"
- uncheck/deactivate the "Avast Anti-Theft"

- now go back to deviceĀ“s settings
- go to "Apps" or "Application manager" (depends on the Android version)
- pick "Avast Anti-Theft"
- uninstall "Avast Anti-Theft"

2. This will work only if you remember the PIN you set for the Anti-Theft:

To the number that sends you the alerts, send an SMS:

2222 SET PROTECTION 0

where 2222 will be changed for your PIN. That will deactivate the whole Anti-Theft, and the alerts will stop. Please bear in mind the receiver will see the SMS.