Author Topic: Avast To Go Public?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast To Go Public?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
And, talking about the toasters and other promotions, we do hear you – and in fact, we've already cut back quite a bit on those compared to the situation 1-2 years ago, and we're continuing to work to keep them at a reasonable level.

You think having a screen, needing about half a dozen clicks to navigate through to decline an upgrade 'offer', pop up at boot for three consecutive days, is reasonable? On machines that already had Avast Free installed for years no less?

Your definition of reasonable differs from mine. A lot. And it is that sort of stunt that has me wondering if Avast is still right for me and my family. I feel almost bullied into installing a trial 'upgrade'. That does not make me want to keep using your product.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:10:02 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
Also: I understand that Avast is a for profit business. That doesn't however mean that every Avast Free user is a potential customer. I think it is important to state that clearly. Some people just want a basic AV. Adding a ton of (sometimes buggy) features, and then pushing those hard, does nothing to entice someone that isn't looking for all that excess bloat. That doesn't win them over. Would you expect them to pay for functionality they will never use? They are content with the free version, because it does what they want it to do and nothing much more. And they would be fine if it was stripped from everything but shields. The very core essence of a traditional AV. And for that they oblige to view an occasional promotional offer, as long as it isn't overly intrusive. Sadly, Avast Free is moving further and further away from that basic concept with every new release, and from what I gather the paid versions do not fare any better. No doubt precisely because priorities seem to lie more and more with generating revenue, even if that comes at the expense of user satisfaction.

If you want to sell me software, build me a bare bones, fast, solid, reliable AV with great support. Call it Avast Core, or something. Price it reasonably and I might actually consider it, and recommend it to others.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:49:02 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline bjmcternan

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »
Guys... not sure why some of you think we might change our strategy. You can trust us that whatever we do, our top priority continues to be to beat the bad guys and keep the Avast community protected.  And, talking about the toasters and other promotions, we do hear you – and in fact, we've already cut back quite a bit on those compared to the situation 1-2 years ago, and we're continuing to work to keep them at a reasonable level.

Thanks
Vlk

Because we've already observed a dramatic shift in ways how you do business after you guys got people from outside onboard. That's why. And let me just tell you, the shift isn't to the positive direction. Unfortunately.

The thing that really made my stomach turn was seeing "You've got X number of problems with your system! Clean it now!" Then when you run a scan it says "found 2 issues. click here to fix them". Both issues being benign and completely acceptable for any system. Blatant lying and click-bait to sell a product. Even when we're already paying for it!