Author Topic: Multimedia carsh and startup  (Read 3418 times)

Niji

Multimedia carsh and startup
« on: December 28, 2003, 08:44:52 AM »
HI all

I have a problem with avast 4.1.319 and media files. I have an IE6 crash (win 98) as soon i try to read a media file (windows media, real audio).  :'(
ie, IE gives this message error :
AppName: iexplore.exe    AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106    ModName: winmm.dll
ModVer: 4.3.0.1998    Offset: 00006633

The only way i found is to remove avast from startup and load it in last by moving shortcuts in th startup folder  :-\.

But since some days (the last version i think) avast is always loading in first, even if removed by msconfig.  ???
Even started manually, the next boot will load avast first.
And if the sortcuts are still here, i have 2 avast "A" runing in the tray!

thanks for help  ;)

niji

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Multimedia carsh and startup
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 01:41:16 PM »
Are the WMP updated? And what about your IE?

If there is no other solution (for example, uninstall and install avast! again), I suggest you download and install Startup Delayer. When Windows loads its startup file, it attempts to load every program at the same time. If you have a heap of programs starting, each program will try and grab the CPU at the SAME time!
If each program tries to load at the same time, a great slow-down occurs as your CPU tries to help each one.

Startup Delayer allows programs to start in a more orderly fashion by setting how many seconds after Windows has started, to load each program.  The effect that this gives is that you gain control of the system much faster, and the program that was launched will launch faster as it does not have to share the CPU with other programs. For Example: Suppose a mail program and virus scanner that startup when Windows starts. Using Startup Delayer, have the mail program start at 10 seconds after Windows startup. Then set the virus scanner to start at 20 seconds after Windows startup. Now each program will startup on its own instead of all at once enabling a smoother, speedier startup and, if were lucky, without the 'bug' you posted here.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Niji

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 05:19:13 PM »
 :'(

I dlnded "startup delay" but Avast don't appear in the list!
Where did avast put its startup command?

Niji

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 12:52:29 AM »
It must be there, if you have the Internet Mail provider running you will see ashMaiSv.exe file there. If you have nothing, something is wrong in your installation. I'm not sure now, but I think ashDisp.exe (that is the application which 'generates' the icon on system tray) does not 'run' this way into Windows98 (just in XP).

As you can see, please, uninstall and install avast again:

1. Download the avast! setup (current version 4.1.319). Take note of your Registration key or, if you need another key, the registration form can be found here
2. Desinstall avast (Control Panel)
3. Boot
4. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation
5. Boot
6. Install the downloaded setup file
7. Boot
8. Enter the Registration key and configure avast! for your needs
The best things in life are free.