Author Topic: ashwebsv.exe - High CPU usage!  (Read 4609 times)

uilop

ashwebsv.exe - High CPU usage!
« on: May 19, 2006, 02:39:26 PM »
Hello!

The process ashwebsv.exe has a very high CPU usage (up to 99%) when I'm downloading something! That's the first problem!
The second: Through this high CPU usage it slows down my internet connection (DSL 6000 kbit/s)
When I shut down ashwebsv.exe there are no problems anymore!

What is wrong with this? I need help!

howardr

Re: ashwebsv.exe - High CPU usage!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:14:47 PM »
Having the same problem with ashserve.exe with my computer.  CPU usage = 99% slows it to a crawl.  Disabled through task manager and computer back to normal.  Need help...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:50:10 PM »
Whist ashWebSv.exe should have increased cpu usage when scanning downloaded files but, 99% for prolonged periods seems to be a problem.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

uilop

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 02:11:15 PM »
Even a complete reinstallation of avast! didn't help!
When I'm downloading something, Firefox (or IE) has almost 30% cpu usage! That's normal. But ashwebsv.exe has almost 65% cpu usage which makes working with the pc impossible during a download!

Who has another solution?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
What settings do you have for the web shield provider ?
Mine is set to High (so as to catch extension less browser cache of firefox) and scan all files and I don't see any noticeable slowdown, however, I'm on dial-up and not downloading large files and avast would have more time to scan content on dial-up.

Has this always been the case or has it just started ?
If it has just started what has changed recently before it started ?

I can recollect similar issues some time ago were some (not all) users experienced high cpu usage on ashwebsv.exe (or may have bee ashserv.exe the main scanning engine). Unfortunately I can't remember the solution so a forums search might find something.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Leo50

• Security is not a joke !
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
Sunday May 30, 2020

Following a hidden update from Avast on the version 20.3.2405 , the antivirus caused a system crash and a mandatory PC restart.
After restarting, the processor load has increased to 100%, making it impossible to stop the program.
To deactivate avast even after the process has stopped
Go back or delete the update.

In short, I had to uninstall Avast completely.

It is unacceptable !!!
This is the last time.

Offline Leo50

• Security is not a joke !
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 08:46:13 PM »
Sunday May 30, 2020

Following a hidden update from Avast on the version 20.3.2405 , the antivirus caused a system crash and a mandatory PC restart.
After restarting, the processor load has increased to 100%, making it impossible to stop the program.
To deactivate avast even after the process has stopped
Go back or delete the update.

In short, I had to uninstall Avast completely.

It is unacceptable !!!
This is the last time.

Not really advisable breathing life into a topic that is over 14 years old, much will have changed since then.

It seems to be linked to that :

https://www.easypcmod.com/how-to-fix-avast-service-high-cpu-usage-issue-10645

Unlikely as that is for a completely different avast function the main avast service and not the Avast Web Shield.