Author Topic: Microsoft virus  (Read 5037 times)

efuniture

Microsoft virus
« on: May 19, 2006, 02:03:21 PM »
Well it is sort of  :-[ I bought this computer from a second hand computer shop ages ago and have used it fine since then. When I bought it I was a computer vegetable and broke ( hence the second hand shop ) Well when I eventually started using the net I discovered that the so called xp that was sold with the computer wasnt genuine. I do own another computer and when I bought it I bought genuine software. How ever microsoft have informed me  (because someone had turned my auto up dates on ) with a big window that keeps popping up every where that THIS IS NOT A GENUINE COPY YOU MAY HAVE BEEN THE VICTOM OF SOFTWARE COUNTERFEITING BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. It has also installed an icon on the bottom of my screen that sits their permanantly. They want lots of dollars to turn it into a genuine copy ( surprise surprise ). Anyway can I remove the icon and windows ??????. I honestly didnt know this was not a legal copy when I bought it, as I was told that it was sold under a traders licence.( I'll swear on a vegemite sandwich ) Ive paid for my next lot of software and I want them to go away. ( I have turned off my updates )
Cheers to any one that can help,
Paul. ( from the land down under )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Microsoft virus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
Looks like you installed the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA Notification KB905474) update, sneaked in under last months auto updates as a critical update when it is nothing of the sort. Unlike other critical security updates I don't think this one can be uninstalled.

Quote from: Extract Windows Secrets newsletter
The third mid-month "critical update" patch — which also got shoved onto all PCs with automatic update activated — isn't a patch at all, critical or otherwise. It's the new version of Windows Genuine Nagware, er, Windows Genuine Advantage.

With this little gem installed (905474), if Microsoft's computers can't verify your copy of Windows, your desktop gets plastered with all sorts of irritating, incessant nags. As far as I can tell there was little, if any, advance warning that this "critical update" (yeah, sure) was going to get rammed down U.S. users' throats in an out-of-cycle mid-month automatic update. I could find nothing but this press release, dated the same day Windows Genuine Nagware spewed down the Automatic Updates chute.

From where I stand, Microsoft has shown that it'll use Automatic Updates to shove any software change onto any system that it darn well pleases, any time it likes. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Microsoft isn't a monolith. There's no Big Brother or master plan behind it all, no Mini-Me lurking in the shadows. Instead, what we're seeing is a bunch of stupid decisions, propagated to a hundred million PCs, by people who have demonstrated, repeatedly, that they can't be trusted with the task.

So you might well be stuffed. Some time ago MS allowed for ratting on the org/shop that sold you the software as genuine and either getting a free upgrade to legit version or a reduced price, I'm not sure if this is the case now.

You might want to call MS and see what your options are, they are likely to be more interested in the seller, but unfortunately you never know with MS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

efuniture

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »
Thanks Dave,
Suffering suckitashes,  :'( I hope they get sparrows as big as emu's and drops a turd or two on their heads.  ;D

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »
 :)  Hi efuniture :

Regarding a specific phone number to call ( MIcrosoft ),
      I have seen this question posted and answered on the
      forums at www.annoyances.org .

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 10:17:17 PM »
There are some pretty good free Linux OS's out there, if you a)can work out if it's pronounced linux or laynux, and b)aren't into playing the latest Windows games.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/software/2043620/group-test-linux
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

efuniture

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 02:18:22 AM »
So does this mean" You might well be stuffed " that I will have to put up with the nag ware or does it mean I will lose the use of this program. Also I had a look at Linox it looks good but will it be any good if the kids are using linox at home and xp at school ( i coundnt see any information at the site ). I went to annoyances.org and got rid of the tray icon but I couldnt find anything about getting rid of the annoying pop up messages. Anyway thanks for your help guys,
Cheers Paul

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 02:49:43 AM »
The only effective way of getting rid of the nag screen would be if you were able to uninstall it as you could with other security updates, which as far as I'm aware that isn't an option with this. You will probably be able to continue to use it with the nag screen but I don't know if you will have future problems with updates also.

If you had been using disk imaging software to back-up your system you could have restored and image prior to the windows update, not much help now if you haven't already got that.

Worst case scenario is having to purchase a legit copy and if you are going to do that you might as well try finding the MS number in your country and ask what your options are. Because even when you get a legit copy you still have to get it installed and the WGA nag killed and MS should be able to provide advice on the pig they created.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

efuniture

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
Thanks again Dave,
I do try and generally do the right thing. My laptop I bought I paid for the genuine software. It annoys me that you pay for the software and its single computer use. ( thats what the conditions state ) Its like buying a book and only being allowed to read it in the loungeroom.
I discovered computers late and I am really enjoying it but it is very frustrating sometimes.

Spiritsongs

KB 905474
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
 :)  Hi efuniture :

Had a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional on another
     forum respond to a question similar to yours; he provided
     a link to : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/en-us .
     And Microsoft has the following there :
    "You can temporarily disable Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. To do this, right-click the Notifier icon in the notification area and select Change Notifications Settings. Then, follow the prompts. This will disable the Notification Prompts until a new release of the Notification Update is released. "

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »
You need to fully read the MS page that Spiritsongs gave, on that page it as says that the nag screen gives access to more information by clicking the 'Get Genuine now.'

Quote from: Extract KB905474 info
For more information about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:21:11 PM by DavidR »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »
Thanks again Dave,
I do try and generally do the right thing. My laptop I bought I paid for the genuine software. It annoys me that you pay for the software and its single computer use. ( thats what the conditions state ) Its like buying a book and only being allowed to read it in the loungeroom.
I discovered computers late and I am really enjoying it but it is very frustrating sometimes.
All operating systems (well not linux) can only be installed on one machine. However if you have more than one computer mabye microsoft has some kind of family pack like apple does that allows it to be installed on multiple computers in the same house, I would look into that if you plan on upgrading to vista
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay