Author Topic: Problem after update  (Read 1182 times)

REDACTED

Problem after update
« on: December 22, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
Avast updated to 17.9.2322 yesterday (21/12). Before the update all was well, in fact all has been perfect for many years (more than I can remember) while I have been using Avast. Before the update Avast appeared to have 3 processes running that were using approx 50mb of memory. Since the update another 2 AvastUI.exe have appeared which are using together over 200mb of memory and the total memory usage for the 5 processes is currently just over 260mb, over 5 time the pre update usage. On a modern computer with loads of memory and a multicore processor this would probably not be an issue but on a 12 year old laptop (2mb memory, Pentium dual core) its slowed it down to a crawl and at times its virtually unusable.

Any ideas/solutions welcome.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Problem after update
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
AvastUI is chronium based so having multiple AvastUI processes is normal. Those processes are being closed after some time, when no response from IPM or there occurs error.

It shouldn't be consuming that much RAM though, could you post a screenshot?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

Re: Problem after update
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Avast updated to 17.9.2322 yesterday (21/12). Before the update all was well, in fact all has been perfect for many years (more than I can remember) while I have been using Avast. Before the update Avast appeared to have 3 processes running that were using approx 50mb of memory. Since the update another 2 AvastUI.exe have appeared which are using together over 200mb of memory and the total memory usage for the 5 processes is currently just over 260mb, over 5 time the pre update usage. On a modern computer with loads of memory and a multicore processor this would probably not be an issue but on a 12 year old laptop (2mb memory, Pentium dual core) its slowed it down to a crawl and at times its virtually unusable.

Any ideas/solutions welcome.

I have exactly the same issue. The questions are:
1) Why this is happening only after the last AVAST update?
2) Why the "RAM jump", from an average consumption of 50mb to almost 200mb?
3) Why AVAST multi-processes never close?

It is interesting to know if this is normal, part of the new updates etc... or if this is a bug, a memory leak etc.

The version 17.9.2322 report says: "Fixed a problem with white UI (you might see more processes AvastUI.exe now, but that's OK)".
What does it mean?
At this version report, many users are having similar complains, mentioning bugs, more RAM consumption without explanation, many AvastUI.exe processes running at the same time (never closing) etc.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:35:36 PM by decopi »