Author Topic: How could I use VPN to browse BBC channels or programs from outside the UK?  (Read 6853 times)

REDACTED

Hi,
I'm trying to open BBC iplayer by connecting through avast VPN in England, but unfortunately it doesn't work since they (BBC) can figure out I'm using VPN so I can't see any of BBC programs outside the UK.

Offline Raeken

• Deutsch living in France
Unfortunately, BBC is blocking VPN services. So, you may not be able to access it.
Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2 - 64 Bits | Avast SecureLine VPN - Standalone

REDACTED

Thank you for your reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As far as I'm aware the BBC doesn't just check if you are in the country (even when using a VPN), I think that they also have other means to identify your location.

I'm in the UK so I wouldn't need to use a VPN, but I imaging that we will have to prove that we are actually BBC License payers to see the iPlayer content.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Raeken

• Deutsch living in France
Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2 - 64 Bits | Avast SecureLine VPN - Standalone

Offline James Moriarty

Unfortunately, BBC is blocking VPN services. So, you may not be able to access it.
With Windscribe VPN welcome to bbc iplayer  :)
 With Epic browser welcome to bbc iplayer  :)
 With Avast SecureLine VPN BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry.....  :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
With Windscribe VPN welcome to bbc iplayer  :)
 With Epic browser welcome to bbc iplayer  :)
 With Avast SecureLine VPN BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry.....  :'(

That will no doubt change over time as the BBC improves its database of VPNs. 

Whilst I don't use a VPN service (I live in the UK), Opera Browser also has a free VPN service, that is something you could try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security