Author Topic: Anti spam buttons gone  (Read 7202 times)

REDACTED

Anti spam buttons gone
« on: December 23, 2017, 12:25:43 AM »
after the latest update the Outlook addin for Avast Internet Security wont stay enabled.

So, no spam buttons in the ribbon.

Repairs and reinstall have been made with no resolution.

WIndows 10/Outlook2016

Avast Version 17.9.2322

Any ideas on how to fix or is this just a bug from the update?

REDACTED

Re: Anti spam buttons gone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
 >:(

Same problem. Enabling the Avast plugin makes Outlook 2016 stop working.

In effect: WE HAVE NO INCOMING MAIL VIRUS PROTECTION!!!!!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
Most likely you do unless using a private mailserver

all mail providers have spam/virus filter on there mail servers so it is already scanned before you recive it
also, any file saved to disk is scanned by avast file shield ... scanned when saved, access, run, moved, ......

Offline vagabondh

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Same here with Outlook 2013 32bit edition. If I reenable the add-in I crash Outlook.
Reinstalled Outlook, Reinstalled Avast Internet Security, tried regsvr32 for asOutExt.dll...
All I managed to do was screw up my view settings in outlook.

v17.9.2322  12/21/17 Avast was the beginning of it.

I sure get a lot of spam without that tool! Outlooks tools suck to Junk the Spam! >:(

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
Most likely you do unless using a private mailserver

all mail providers have spam/virus filter on there mail servers so it is already scanned before you recive it
also, any file saved to disk is scanned by avast file shield ... scanned when saved, access, run, moved, ......

This answer is not relevant to the issue at hand.

Clearly whatever addin in place here is not working as it was before. I tried looking for any "improvements" or changes in the latest release suggesting that this feature was not part of the new release and didn't see anything.

Regardless of what my mailserver has or doesn't this is functionality we paid for and is not working.

May I have a status or some troubleshooting ideas please? Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
This answer is not relevant to the issue at hand.
Absolutely correct   ;)

The answer is just for what i quoted no more no less, trying to calm down those who think/worry they have no protection until that bug is fixed

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
Same here with Outlook 2013 32bit edition. If I reenable the add-in I crash Outlook.
Reinstalled Outlook, Reinstalled Avast Internet Security, tried regsvr32 for asOutExt.dll...
All I managed to do was screw up my view settings in outlook.

v17.9.2322  12/21/17 Avast was the beginning of it.

I sure get a lot of spam without that tool! Outlooks tools suck to Junk the Spam! >:(
Tried to change outlook spam settings?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-the-level-of-protection-in-the-Junk-Email-Filter-e89c12d8-9d61-4320-8c57-d982c8d52f6b

Offline vagabondh

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:46:45 AM »
@Pondus:
Thanks for the reminder! Honestly, I have been using Avast Anti-Spam tools in Outlook for so long I forgot there were even settings to change in Outlook! The tools I was referring to was to mark as SPAM and move to Junk those items that got through. It's so easy to use the AVAST! toolbar to process the Junk that gets through. Select and click.

I still want to get a fix but your suggestion makes it a bit easier to wait!
Do these posts of trouble issues get reviewed by AVAST employees who can pass along the reports?
I've never had many issues with the products (been using them since Windows XP was released in 64 bit form).

Thanks again.

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
The same thing happened to me. I am running 64 bit Windows 10, version 1709 (the Creators Update) and Office 2013. I've tried everything, running repair/reinstall on Office, removing and reinstalling Avast,and deep scans for viruses and and malware. This all started with the "Creators Update" on 12/21/2017 and 3 subsequent updates on 12/23/2017. Check your update history.

Interestingly, my wife's laptop is running 32 bit Windows 10 and got the same updates. But she is using Office 2007 and is having no problems.

Both computers are running Avast Internet Security version 17.9.2322 build 17.9.3761.0
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:41:30 AM by wrhindy »

Offline vagabondh

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:06 AM »
For Reference I have not yet installed the 1709 Creators Update, I am still running 1703 Windows. The update that caused my particular problem was an AVAST update. I STILL do not have 1709 installed - I have  the Windows Update service disabled and I decide when to do updates. Hope they don't block me from doing that anytime soon. Worked with a client Thursday the 30th who lost their ability to run their Sage Accounting software with 1709 - on two different PC's so we had to roll them back and disable updates for a while. We'll run the updates, after they "swat the bugs"!

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
any update on this?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
None seen this far. Still at 2322 version.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 03:12:43 AM »
the windows update just came down and this things started working again....go figure.

Offline oliveira56

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:06:14 AM »
To solve this problem, I did the following:
- I uninstalled Avast
- I reinstalled Avast
As the problem persisted, I opened Outlook and manually added the asOutExt.dll file in File> Options> Add-ins

Problem solved

Offline Nenad24

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »
Fine. Could you be so kind and inform us where that dll is located. A am still suffering from "avast abuse": 1) my outlook had crashed and I-do-not-how managed to recovwer it; 2)  reinstalling ("clean reinstall") caused crash of my windows nad 3) "sucessful" reinstalling (after uninstalling avast with uninstall utility) did not change anything - avast plugin disappeared with no trace.

What could I do more?