Author Topic: Detections  (Read 2374 times)

mouniernetwork

Detections
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:02:13 AM »
Hello,

I would like to know why doesn't Avast have more Detections ? Because I personaly love Avast, so I would like to see it improve  :)
I have it on all 5 of my computers and recomand it to anybody but lately people are getting concerned with new incoming threat(never seen before) like MS06-001 WMF Exploit and also spywares\adware. Other antivirus vendor\security vendors have adjusted to this situation :Grisoft bough Ewido,Symantec has added a new product now detecting spywares, Macfee has continue its  antispyware. So right now Avast is still a good product but is gradualy becoming less useful because of its lack of detections, and I don't just mean spywares and others I also mean Generic detections,in september Microsoft is launching its own security program which includes a module that checks for unusal activities such as a movie file trying to delete a system file .
In the last year or so there has been a dramatic change in the types of threats that users are experiencing or facing, so I am asking the Alwil team to first of all continue it outstanding product but also to add those spyware\adware and  Generic dections. Also please do consider these new emerging threats and what you as a team can do to counter the attacks. I am looking forward to see the improvements in Avast.

Thank You

MounierNetwork

ardvark

Re: Detections
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 06:29:35 AM »
Hi mouniernetwork...

While I can't (and don't) speak for anyone at Alwil, I think perhaps in time you will see these detections being added, at least in the paid version, after all, Avast has to stay competitive with the other players on the block :) On the other hand, Avast is designed first and foremost as an AV. There are standalone antispyware programs out there that can accomplish the same task.

Best Regards...

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:03:03 AM »
All detections are downloaded to all versions there is no distinction between free and pro versions with regards to the data base.  The WMF exploit was fixed way back in december and AVAST was one of the first.  It is not about quantity but quality.  Avast is anti virus not anti malware, it does cover some malware but you need to go for a layered defence,  examples of products that try to do it all tend to get very bloated and no longer perform well in any area..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 11:05:57 AM by essexboy »

mouniernetwork

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »
Yes Essexboy ,
I am aware that the WMF Exploit was fixed a wgile ago and that Avast detected it very early. I am also aware that when companies try to cover more fields such as spyware it affects the spywares however like ardvark and I said it does need to overcome that challenge if it wants to stay in the market. Perhaps hire new developers would be the necessary messure to take not to affect the Anitivirus research and at the same time improving the spywares and adwares. I hope that Alwil will consider this idea or will think of an other one.

MounierNetwork

JerryM

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
Personally, I would prefer Avast not focus more on spyware if it causes "bloating" or many FP. I am well satisfied to have it as an AV and use devoted AS programs.

Jerry