Author Topic: Outlook crash issue  (Read 32708 times)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Outlook crash issue
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »

It is unlikely the actual program version would change, more likely would be a different build number.

Since I don't have MS Outlook, it would be unlikely I would get this micro fix, so I should have the current version and build number - 17.9.2322 (build 17.9.3761.0) - is your build number the same ?

Yet i have the same bulid version. Date of publication: 21.12.2017 09:18:14 and this is a version with a bug! Since that time, there were no more updates ;-( How long do we have to wait for help from Avast lazy support? Is there anybody who cares?

As far as I am aware..when a microupdate is released, the program version/build number does not change. Only the file(s) which have been updated will have a different build/version.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:59:14 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
<snip quotes>
When a microupdate is released, the program version/build number does not change. Only the file(s) which have been updated will have a different build/version.

Which is why I went through the processes and attached the file properties screenshot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
We already know since yesterday on this subject that neither the version number nor the built-in has changed for this fix ... only asOutExt.dll has been updated.
If "avast_User_461" had read, he would not have asked the question. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »
I have this and it Outlook still cannot send or receive some emails unless I drop the shields... >:( >:( >:(

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »
Hello

Update:

How to install:
- download Avast version
- uninstall previous version of Avast
- disconnect temporary from network
- start Avast installation and install Avast
- open Avast UI | settings | Update | set Program update to option - Ask when update available
- connect to network again

just a question that is not related to the subject , sorry.

How to  install avast when you get an error message that says you have to be connected to the net for the installation to be done ?

Edit:maybe by "Offline" version rather than "Online" ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:09:41 PM by chris05 »

REDACTED

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »
You can try this, but it didn't work for me...

Avast Premier   
(https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=PRE&locale=en-ww)
Disconnect from the internet
Uninstall Avast via control panel and follow the directions.

Run the Uninstall Utility and accept the reboot to safe mode
Once complete reboot your system
Go back on-line
Reinstall Avast
Upon completion, please reboot your system to make sure all changes have been completed.

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:35 AM »
It's working...

REDACTED

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »
Having been a professional software developer, I have a few thoughts on this MS Outlook crash issue subject:
1)  Often the company behind the developer does not want to invest time, equipment, or manpower into adequate testing.  Shame on such companies!  I do not know for certain if this applies to Avast.
2)  Beta testing should not be expected to replace #1 above, EVER!  If a company or developer starts blaming release errors on beta testing, then their whole testing and release process is a scam, and is out of control.   The products of such companies should be avoided like the disease that they are.  Neither a person nor a business can afford the time, cost, and frustration of companies that rely on such business practices.   I do not know for certain if this applies to Avast.
3)  When any software item is revised in any way and released for testing or production, it gets a new version number, and the package(s) which contain it get new revision numbers.  Period.  Period.  Period.   Any company that does not follow this model is prone to stupid, foolish, and accidental internal errors, will breed internal confusion, and the company is certain to confuse customers trying to maintain solid systems.   I do not know for certain if this applies to Avast.
4)  A company should have developers that deal with development planning, problems and issues.  Sometimes issues that developers are confronted with are difficult to estimate a time of resolution, especially if resources are limited (see #1 above) and change control and documentation (see #3 above) are not well managed.  Doing problem identification, development of a solution, completion of the development, and complete testing requires time, effort, and well planned behavior.  Likely one or more of these things were missing to have allowed the problem to exist in the first place.
5)  It is the company's management, sales and communication staff (THE customer support team) that should respond to customers about issues in the field, not the developers.  If the company doesn't have a properly trained and functional customer support team, then customers are left in the dark when problems arise.  In some cases, a company's customer support team will lie to customers about problems and estimated fix times.  The customer should be given clear and truthful answers about problems that exist, and be advised about estimated problem resolution dates.  If a release date is flat out unknown, then say so, and give a reasonable guess of range.  This can help the customer make decisions to minimize down time.  A customer wants to know quickly to install an older version if that will reduce their down time.  Getting no feedback from  company about a known problem that causes customer down time shows total lack of respect for the customer.
MY EXPERIENCE included a long (too long) silence, followed by an heart felt apology, with unclear (to me) instructions on how to implement the resolution.

It is my hope that Avast will learn from this failed occurrence and quickly implement the needed corporate changes.  I hope that the changes needed are minor, as otherwise I think that a re-occurrence will contribute to a major thinning of their customer base and provide an opportunity for some other company.

REDACTED

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
@ferush Very well said. I couldn't have put it better myself.

REDACTED

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
i am currently in the position of having performed a "clean" Install.  the anti-spam option is RED in the components section and will not change!  what alternative solutions to this problem do you have?

this is a problem that i have encountered many times since taking out a subscription for your product.  i find this very annoying and a poor level of service from  your company. 

REDACTED

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
My Outlook 2016 still crashing...
How log we have to wait to official update? Months, years?
This is pathetic! Avast has worst support ever :(
Now, i really regret that I bought this corrupt product.
Who will give me money back?!  :-\

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:05 AM »
My Outlook 2016 still crashing...
How log we have to wait to official update? Months, years?
This is pathetic! Avast has worst support ever :(
Now, i really regret that I bought this corrupt product.
Who will give me money back?!  :-\
Refund request: https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=2
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Peter444

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
It is now February and still no update.
What is  happening ??????????

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
It is now February and still no update.
What is  happening ??????????
Try this beta!.https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=214411.0
Here is the list of bugs fixed:
Bug fixes

Fixed bug when games were minimizing themselves every 30 minutes
Fixed problems with Outlook plugin
Fixed name of Avast window in task bar
Fixed Help screen (help was not displaying proper page on some places in UI - typically in settings)
Fixed Boot Time Scan
Fixed bug which caused that Last computer scan time was not displayed correctly
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:20:57 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
I have Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 64bit and Avast Pro Antivirus. Since 3-4 months it keeps crashing when I start Outlook 2010 due to Avast Outlook plugin. When I disable the plugin Outlook mail client starts correctly, but then I'm not protected against viruses thru e-mails!!

I use Avast Pro Antivirus since many years without any problems until this issue. And I think there is still no fix even when the Avast engine is updated on my computer: 18.2.2328 build 18.2.2327.307 released on March 1st 2018.

What a terrible software yours transformed into!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:02:21 PM by Burak23 »