Author Topic: Email shield!  (Read 2080 times)

NskylineGTR

Email shield!
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:55:23 PM »
The only way I can view my emails is through that crappy AOL 9 web browser. How do I setup avast to scan emails?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email shield!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »
Short answer, you can't as it isn't using email protocols but internet http protocol. The avast email scanner monitors and scans pop3, smtp, nntp and imap protocol ports 25, 110, 119 and 143.

AOL webmail/Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services (unless you pay for the pop3 service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server (PopHotmail, for instance)

Just one of the things I love about AOHell ;D

Surely there must be another option than the AOHell browser ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security