Author Topic: Scan Taking Too Long  (Read 3472 times)

REDACTED

Scan Taking Too Long
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
How do I stop Avast Security Scan from scanning Time Machine backups? The scan spends much time scanning a disk area titled "/Volumes/Time_Machine/MacBook Pro.sparsebundle/bands/..." I tried to set Preferences>Shields>File Shield>Settings>Excluded paths, but this brings up a finder type window to choose from and this path is not listed.

Please help and thanx!

REDACTED

Re: Scan Taking Too Long
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
If you go into the settings for the particular scan you are trying to run and find where it chooses what to scan, there should be an option to disable Time Machine backups.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
I like AVAST but have noticed when scanning my time machine backups the process takes a very long time.
After three days I stopped the scan itself.  There were no viruses detected but I am not sure the software itself
does not have a bug of some kind.  I use a removable 1 TB hard drive for time machine backups and
I attempted to ask AVAST tech support but did not find a way to contact them from the web page
other than this forum.  Is it a glich? or should a scan of mac backups take way more than 24 hours run time?

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
How do I stop Avast Security Scan from scanning Time Machine backups? The scan spends much time scanning a disk area titled "/Volumes/Time_Machine/MacBook Pro.sparsebundle/bands/..." I tried to set Preferences>Shields>File Shield>Settings>Excluded paths, but this brings up a finder type window to choose from and this path is not listed.

Please help and thanx!
Hello,

you can add exception to the directory in Settings of the specific scan. In the directory selection dialog, you can use "cmd + shift + g" which pops out field where you can enter the path.
Saying that, we do have a checkbox "scan time machine backup directories" which is by default turned off, however our algorithm seems to not identify that directory as time machine directory.
Please could you run terminal (eg. cmd + space, type terminal + enter), write following commands one by one and send me outputs to ondrej.kolacek (at) avast.com?

mount
ls -la /Volumes/Time_Machine
ls -la /Volumes/Time_Machine/MacBook\ Pro.sparsebundle

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:03:32 AM by ondrej.kolacek »