Author Topic: New to Avast - having major regrets  (Read 4021 times)

REDACTED

New to Avast - having major regrets
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:45:41 AM »
Installed the program on my latest OS 2010 Mac Pro. First, every web page using Firefox was blocked from entering. Chrome was okay. Do not use Safari now. Preferences to adjust setting require study to define the terms used.

Path of least resistance? Disable Web Shield.

Now I see that many of my clients are getting jpegs and PDFs I send as smime text files. Most have no idea what this is, nor do I.

Disabled Email Shield and now don't have that annoying problem.

Is there an easy one-page "cheat sheet" of basic preference choices out there?
It's not like my Mac has ever had an issue that something simple like Malwarebytes fixed in a jiffy. So far this program only seems good to disable all the Avast "protection features" and simply run periodic file scans.

Truthfully, after all these years, all Avast did was identify Windows viruses that were embedded in never-opened spam emails.

To make matters worse, who was the rocket scientist who thought that unreadable letter images in 4 pixel type for post verification on this forum was such a great idea. Edits are almost impossible.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:51:48 AM by labolide »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: New to Avast - having major regrets
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:43:55 AM »
To make matters worse, who was the rocket scientist who thought that unreadable letter images in 4 pixel type for post verification on this forum was such a great idea. Edits are almost impossible.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »
Good to know, but this is the smallest Captcha graphic I have ever seen, and the least readable. I use this on all the sites I manage.

That being said, it appears that the Avast program installation first cripples web and email, and then you must go back in and customize all settings to allow normal functions back while still providing virus protection. Am I correct?

TIA

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
labolide, thank you for sharing the experience. The product was not designed to behave in this way - crippled emails and blocked websites are bugs. Would you mind to provide more info about the issues - e.g. send us support package via Help > Avast Technical Support > Generate Support package.

Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
Not sure how I can help you. When I first installed Avast, every website on Chrome, including all the major search engines was blocked with an Avast "Your connection is not secure" message. I see others have had this problem. Ironically, mine was on Chrome, not Firefox. I figured that the default blocking criteria was set so broadly, that I'd have to go back in and tailor it. Some of the terminology in the settings was not clear. More reading and visiting other forums.
The email problem was puzzling, and not sure how to deal with that.
Bottom line is that I have a business to run and can't spend a lot of time to sort out a program that I've done fine without for years.
I can't afford to not have a client receive a file properly the first time I send it.
I keep good practices and a periodic file scan should do me fine, since all my viruses came in unopened spam emails.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:46:24 PM by labolide »