Author Topic: email shield  (Read 7361 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: email shield
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 10:30:35 PM »
It does if you download via a pop3 mail handler ( I use OE).  I have yahoo web mail which I read online and only download that which I want to keep.  Although just checking and none have the clean tag.  oops just noticed I didn't have it selected, but going by memory (pretty feeble at my age) it does append a clean tag   

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 10:37:33 PM »
essexboy has it right.

If you receive your Yahoo mail via POP3 then avast can scan it and can append the clean message (that's why I asked curly67 the question earlier in this thread).

You can get Yahoo mail delivered by POP3:

1) if you pay for it
2) if your Yahoo domain still offers free POP3 access
3) you use a program to convert Yahoo Webmail to POP3 (YPops, MrPostman, FreePops etc) or if you use certain email programs that have a built in converter for Yahoo (Hotmail as well) like Incredimail & Foxmail.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 12:12:27 AM »
They are compiling the email on-line and it is being sent to your pop3 email account (at your ISP or email service) so you are downloading from a pop3 source not from Yahoo, so it will be scanned as usual.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
Sorry David but I think that:

They are compiling the email on-line and it is being sent to your pop3 email account (at your ISP or email service)

is misleading.

In cases 1 & 2 I mentioned above you are performing a straight POP3 access from a Yahoo POP3 server.  In case 3 the program is directly accessing the mail store of Yahoo via http and then converting it to POP3 within your own system.  No other email service or ISP is involved at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 01:27:45 AM »
I don't think it misleading as it was in response to drhayden1's post.

Davidr.........i was reading this topic and i use outlook express and incredimail premium(use mostly)which are pop3 accounts and i have all those checked as mentioned for clean messages and i get incoming from yahoo mail from friends that has the incoming clean message attached on their incoming

If the email is being sent from a yahoo user to drhayden1's email account (if that isn't yahoo) he would have no problem with scanning and the insertion of clean notes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 02:23:39 AM »
My apologies - I read drhayden's post as receiving email from friends into his Yahoo account but using Incredimail to download the Yahoo messages (Incredimail has its own built in converter).