Author Topic: * Introducing * - a very short beta of upcoming avast update - now 4.7.840  (Read 28844 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
drahnier,

I noticed that security settings on the installation folders are still pretty weak (yes, we're talking Windows XP here): While group Users had "Read&Execute, Read" permission on files on folder DATA, group Everyone had "Full Control". E. g. file avast.ini had User:Read&Exe and Everyone:FullControl. This does result in a plain FullControl for any user which might not be what is intended (or desireable). Other folders had a plain Everyone:FullControl ... - I would prefer much thighter security settings here.

Strange, really. The main Avast4 folder (i.e. the one with the binaries) should NOT have the Everyone/FullControl right. Only the DATA folder (and its subfolders). Isn't that the case on your machine?

Daffy, Igor will follow up with you (he handles avast translations). Thanks for the comments. The unpacker box -- I meant simply the "Scan archives" box in the Simple UI.

mauserme, thanks for testing.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Done and dusted.  Full scan archives enabled, no problems or errors.  Just one reboot after install.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Can you give us a list of 'tests' to perform?

Vlk, I'm not that often here in forums now but I still exists  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Technical, sorry  :-[ :P

Can you give us a list of 'tests' to perform?

Well, I wish I could. But the changes are pretty subtle.
So (unless you speak Danish), the short list would be something like
- test scanning in Outlook/Exchange or ScriptBlocker provider when NOT logged on as an admin (there have been some fixes in this code to accomodate Vista beta 2)
- on-demand scan your whole hard drive, with archive scanning enabled
- check the access rights of your Avast4 folder. There should be no Everyone/FullControl entry.

That's about all I can think of from the top of my head right now...

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
on-demand scan your whole hard drive, with archive scanning enabled
Tryed with Simple User Interface, not a trouble. My Pro license is at one off-line computer right now, so, can't test the beta there.

- check the access rights of your Avast4 folder. There should be no Everyone/FullControl entry.
There isn't...  :'(
I'm not using the default path, although it is a subfolder of %ProgramFiles%.
I have Full control to Administrators (group and my account) and System.
Normal Users could read/execute. Advanced Users could modify/write.
I'm using XP Pro SP2+ and *advanced* folder sharing option (not the simple one in Windows Explorer), if this concerns.

Thanks Vlk. I wish I could keep helping here in forums as much as I can.

Daffy

OK.
 I will keep an eye on this forum from time to time, if any help with translation are needed.

Scan archives. Oh!!  So that was what it meant.  :)

drahnier

i have configured avast updates to "running mode: silent" and "show update progress", "show icon in taskbar tray" checked.

if i manually trigger an update as a user with administrative rights, i do see the little tray icon during update; running an update as limited user this icon is not displayed.

y2kboy23

I've downloaded this beta, installed it and ran the full scan last night and no errors so far.  I'm also running XP x64 so that part is still working too.  Keep up the great work.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
We have just updated the beta to build 4.7.840. To install it, simply invoke program update (if using the previous beta build) or follow the instructions in the first post of this thread.

There've been many changes in the Danish translation - so if you can read it, please have a look at it.

Vlk
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 10:19:26 PM by Vlk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
There've been many changes in the Danish translation - so if you can read it, please have a look at it.
Vlk, the name of the providers (in Portuguese) were corrected now, the same for the Task names (Pro version) I suppose.
Thanks  8)

Greg P

I ran a full scan with the archives enabled, there was no problems with the beta for me.  :)

Riker

Hi Vlk,

tested with 2 Systems (Workstation and Laptop) and XP and W2k and everything works fine :-)

Bye

Riker

EdB

Has anyone else tried to install this beta on win 95?  I have tried it on two machines and it refuses to start once installed.  The error (didn't write it down) said one of the Avast DLLs was linked to missing kernel32.dll.  Version 4.7.827 works fine on the machines.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:02:52 AM by EdB »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Oops, this looks like a bug. If you'd be able to give the exact names (of the avast dll and of the missing imports), it would help...

EdB

This is the error message:

The ASHBASE.DLL file is linked to missing export kernel32.dll:Try Enter Critical Section.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:05:24 PM by EdB »