Author Topic: Avast! on Slashdot (May 22, 2006)  (Read 2013 times)

cyfer

Avast! on Slashdot (May 22, 2006)
« on: May 22, 2006, 07:56:58 PM »
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/05/22/1310211.shtml

Ask Slashdot: Best of the Free Anti-virus Choices?
 iamjoltman writes "I've been looking to replace the McAfee anti-virus on my parent's XP machine. So, I've been looking at the three free anti-virus choices, AVG Free Edition, avast! Home Edition and AntiVir Personal Edition. I know there are other options, but I believe any others are only on-demand scanners, and that's not an option. So, what does the Slashdot crowd think is the best of these choices? Keep in mind, I'm only looking in anti-virus, I'll go elsewhere for firewall or malware protection." 

Nice to read a kind review from a person suggesting Avast. But most people from /. Liked AntiVir which I don't recommend. For AVG not to many good opinions

I was using AVG and my system had been very sluggish. After several spyware scans with Spybot S&D, Ad Aware and Windows Guardian I was comfortable that I had no spyware or adware on my system. So, I decided to try a different virus scanner. I tried Avast first, it located one infected file that AVG did not.

I removed the file and my system immediately began to run faster. I wondered if AVG missed something, could Avast miss something, so I downloaded and installed AntiVir. AntiVir drove me crazy with all kinds of false positives. AntiVir picked up many security audit tools that I was evaluating as trojans. I'd never be able to use my system if I left it installed. I went back to Avast. For the time being, Avast is my personal virus scanner of choice. Apparently no false positives and it found a virus that AVG did not.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:04:28 PM by cyfer »