Author Topic: bug setting packers  (Read 15774 times)

sowen

bug setting packers
« on: December 28, 2003, 03:02:30 PM »
I'm using Avast Pro, 4.1.319.

If I use the enhanced interface, and change the 'packers' settings for either p2p or instant messenging, then EXIT the interface, then restart it, none of the changes I made 'stuck'. Apparently the enhanced interface is not persisting these settings (?).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:bug setting packers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 03:06:06 PM »
Strange indeed...
My packers page persist when I close the Enhanced Interface and open it again...  ::) I'll try it again now and see if anything is different from the past...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 03:11:38 PM »
Ooops, you seem to be right... The changes are not persisting... Am I doing something wrong?  ::)

sowen

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 03:13:47 PM »
Well, I suppose I'm glad  :-\ to hear you have the same problem. I guess it's a bug with the lastest version.

There are a number of weird things happening in the Enhanced Interface.

Try creating a couple of scheduled tasks then changing them, and once in a while the whole interface dies a horrible death. :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 03:20:57 PM »
What's up!!!!  :(  >:(

I cannot even schedule a task?!  :'(

sowen

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 06:10:19 PM »

Yes, I have this problem regularly with 4.1.319 as well. How this version of the Enhanced interface got past testing, is a mystery. A lot of the persistence of shields' settings seems to be broken.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 10:33:41 PM »
Guys, is there a way to reliably simulate that Runtime Error?
No matter how hard we try we don't seem able to invoke it... :-\

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 01:03:40 AM »
Guys, is there a way to reliably simulate that Runtime Error?
No matter how hard we try we don't seem able to invoke it... :-\

Thanks
Vlk

Sorry Vlk, right now everything is working fine again  :-\
If I see that error again, I'll post. The other problem, the residents and task settings that does not persist, I'll see what is happening and maybe sowen could post anything more. I really does not test the Enhanced Interface again.

sowen

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 02:26:56 PM »
I'm not sure if it is a reliable way to invoke the error, but it does happen often when I did the following:

Because I'm running my Avast Pro 4.1.319 on an unattended WinXP system (which I use as file, web and mail server), I want to have maximum protection but I'm unable to use the 'push' functionality. So, while in the Scheduler folder I created 4 scheduled tasks:
  • 'Virus Definitions Update 0230', which updates the definitions at 02.30,
  • 'Virus Definitions Update 0830', which updates at 08.30,
  • 'Virus Definitions Update 1430', which updates at 14.30, and
  • 'Virus Definitions Update 2030', which updates at 20.30.
Then I created a 5th scheduled task, a scan of all disks, and called it 'Virus Scan 0300', which runs at 03.00 every morning.

Now, while in the Scheduler folder, try editing the 'Virus Scan 0300' schedule, and on my system, the error occurs at least 50% of the time. That is, the runtime error occurs, and the Enhanced interface dies.

Everytime this error occurs, I get an entry in the log file, under 'error':
       ODBC function SQLAllocHandle() - dbsObjectsQuery() failed. Error description: .
(That's right, no description.)

Workaround: I've found the only way to reliably edit the schedule, is to go to the Tasks folder, open the task, and change the schedule there.

Also: I don't understand how Avast is sorting the schedules. If you look at the Scheduler folder, the scheduled tasks don't seem to be sorted by name or creation date etc. If I click on the column header (e.g. 'Name'), then the scheduled tasks move around every time I click, but not alphabetically.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 02:38:42 PM by sowen »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 03:15:56 PM »
OK thanks, I've forwarded a link to this thread to an appropriate person.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that you don't really have to schedule the updates -- that's done automatically for you! I mean, the default update period is 4 hours, which means that provided you have the updating set to 'auto' (which is the case unless you explicitly turn this feature off), avast is automatically trying to download the updated virus definitions every 4 hours....

Thanks,
Vlk

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 03:35:16 PM »
Thank you for your bug report. I have solved that one with improper scheduler sorting - it was really stupid bug.
The other things I will try to simulate - currently I have no solution to it, I cannot even simulate it.

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 04:04:21 PM »
Problem with overwriting packers settings is caused by <OUTLOOK--ScanPackers> tag in deftasks.xml file. To keep your settiings delete line with it.
We will try to find out solution to this ASAP.

sowen

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 04:12:14 PM »

Thanks to Roman and Vlk.

Vlk, as for the scheduled updates, thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything in the documentation on how often it updated, and I wanted to be sure. I just found documentation for the UpdatePeriod in the .ini file, so I'll use that instead.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 04:26:11 PM »
To keep your settiings delete line with it.

I'm afraid this won't work as the updater will soon replace the file with the original version... :-\

We'll have to find a better solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 01:19:26 AM »

Thanks to Roman and Vlk.

Vlk, as for the scheduled updates, thanks for the info. I couldn't find anything in the documentation on how often it updated, and I wanted to be sure. I just found documentation for the UpdatePeriod in the .ini file, so I'll use that instead.

Sowen, if it could help in anyway, I just try to understand avast4.ini file sometime ago and this link is the results of that work. Hope it could be useful for you. I did not work with the 'DefTasks.xml' file, maybe someday, maybe...  :-\