Author Topic: bug setting packers  (Read 15772 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:bug setting packers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2003, 08:28:43 PM »
What's up!!!!  :(  >:(

I cannot even schedule a task?!  :'(

Vlk, the same error again...  >:(
I just boot, open Enhanced Interface, go to Scheduler and try to delete an event... The error freeze the system, then with TaskManager I need to close all avast! applications and restart the computer...

I did again, to delete another event. The same happened!  >:( :(
The best things in life are free.

sowen

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2003, 08:50:38 PM »

Yes, I get the error ALL the time. I don't even both going to the 'scheduler' folder any more, and just schedule tasks from the 'tasks' folder, because otherwise the Enhanced interface gets a Runtime error and/or a memory fault. :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2004, 12:52:28 AM »

Yes, I get the error ALL the time. I don't even both going to the 'scheduler' folder any more, and just schedule tasks from the 'tasks' folder, because otherwise the Enhanced interface gets a Runtime error and/or a memory fault. :'(

Definetively, there is a bug  :P

sowen

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »
Vlk, Roman,

Here's an update on the Runtime error and memory fault, which I get when in the Scheduler folder of the Enhanced interface:

When I am working locally on the computer, I get the error as described in this message

However - and this may help locate the bug - I cannot reproduce this error when connected to the computer using the WinXP Remote Desktop client.

Again, when I get the error, the following message appears in the event log:
       ODBC function SQLAllocHandle() - dbsObjectsQuery() failed. Error description: .

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 03:51:58 PM by sowen »

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2004, 11:12:37 PM »
Currently I am able to simulate reported bug, I will try to fix it ASAP. I saw it for the first when I have tried to delete scheduled event...

Thanks again, sowen

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2004, 01:49:27 PM »
Fix to overwriting settings of provider packers is available at http://cat.asw.cz/~svihalek/fix.zip

Bug invoking "Runtime error" message box is not fixed yet  :-[

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 03:04:05 PM »
good news: runtime error is probably fixed. Can I ask you to test it?

fixed file named ashSODBC.dll has been added to fix.zip from previous post, so it is available for download to everyone interested :-)

thanks to all...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »
good news: runtime error is probably fixed. Can I ask you to test it?

fixed file named ashSODBC.dll has been added to fix.zip from previous post, so it is available for download to everyone interested :-)

thanks to all...

Roman, I forget to uncheck the automatic update of program... avast! was updated to 4.1.319 and I think the files 'went' back to their original state  :-\

I'll install the files again and turn off the update (basic) settings. When will be  the next program update (major update)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2004, 08:11:07 PM »
Ooopss. I change the settings to 'ask when available' for updates. Stop all proccesses of avast. Copy the 'new files'. Boot. When avast! starts, I checked the settings: everything ok ('ask when available'). Connect to Internet. ...  >:( The update of 4.1.319 overwrite again the copied files and even ask me?

Why does the option 'ask when available' exist?  :(

I won't try again. I'll wait for the next major update.

sowen

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Hi Roman,

Technical is right, Avast keeps writing over these files even when 'Ask' or 'Manual' is selected for the program updates. Apparently (I'm just verifying this now), even an iAVS update is causing .dll's to be replaced!).

Ok, so I set both iAVS and program updates to 'manual', replaced the files, and did the testing.
  • bug setting packers for default task: resolved
  • bug where a disabled scheduled task runs anyway: resolved
  • runtime error when editing schedules in the scheduler folder of the Enhanced interface: resolved
    (there's still a bug in the sort-order of the sheduler folder, but I assume that's in ashEnhcd.exe.) By the way, did you see my bug-reports regarding ashCmd.exe?
Thanks for the good work! :D
Sincerely,
Scott.

sowen

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 09:14:03 PM »
Roman, I just confirmed it:

Even if I have program updates set to 'Ask' or 'Manual', and 'running mode' is set to either 'Normal' or 'Silent', when an iAVS update is done (either automatically or manually), the DLLs and default.xms files are all replaced with their original versions. Only in one case -- presumably when one of the DLLs was in use -- did it ask if I wanted to reboot.

Is it a bug or a feature?  ;)

Scott.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 09:27:47 PM »
It's feature. I admit, sometimes it's a nuisance (e.g in this particular case, when trying out unofficial patches) but generally it pays off. Unfortunately there's probably no way to turn it off... :-\

We call it the 'auto-correct' feature. There has been a discussion about it couple of times on this forum already...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:28:12 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sowen

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2004, 09:31:07 PM »
Sorry, third posting in a row here...
I've been having a strange problem with my LDAP-server recently, which uses ODBC and an Access database for my addresses. Lo-and-behold, when I install your new ashSODBC.dll, my LDAP works fine again!

So please release at least the new ashSODBC.dll as soon as possible!

Thanks,
Scott.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2004, 09:33:12 PM »
A program update is (unofficially) scheduled to take place at the end of next week...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sowen

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2004, 09:34:01 PM »
Actually, the 'auto-correct' is a very nice feature indeed, and it shouldn't be 'disablable'. Just tell me about these features if you want me to test for you! ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:34:15 PM by sowen »