Author Topic: Intel Bug Meltdown/Spectre Win 10 Update - Contact your Anti-Virus AV to confirm  (Read 67758 times)

REDACTED

Microsoft have released an update for the Intel chip bug - however the update is only available for machines with compatible antivirus.

Is AVAST compatible?

info from MS:
Due to an issue with some versions of Anti-Virus software, this fix is only being made applicable to the machines where the Anti virus ISV has updated the ALLOW REGKEY.   Contact your Anti-Virus AV to confirm that their software is compatible and have set the following  REGKEY on the machine
Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"
Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"
Type="REG_DWORD”
Data="0x00000000”

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Yes we are compatible, a microupdate was issued yesterday

REDACTED

That's great  - thank you!

I don't seem to have the reg value though, what version of Avast Endpoint Protection includes the fix?

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
It should be present on all Avast 8 or later versions, what is your version?

REDACTED

Avast Endpoint Protection 8.0.1609

REDACTED

Yes we are compatible, a microupdate was issued yesterday

Should I restart my PC or not? Because I still don't see the aforementioned registry key.

My spec: win 10 pro x64, avast free antivirus 17.9.2322 (vps: 180104-0)

REDACTED

Still not present after mine has been restarted.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Microupdates are delivered once per 12 hrs period, and restart is not required for this microupdate. Can you please provide console output from AvastEmUpdate.exe /debug or AvEmUpdate.exe /debug? It must be executed elevated.

REDACTED

Microupdates are delivered once per 12 hrs period, and restart is not required for this microupdate. Can you please provide console output from AvastEmUpdate.exe /debug or AvEmUpdate.exe /debug? It must be executed elevated.

LoadConfig START
  GetSourceType START
  GetSourceType END
LoadConfig END long=0
WaitForInternetConnection START
WaitForInternetConnection END long=0
PrepareRemotePatchDescriptor START
  MakeTemporaryFileName START
  MakeTemporaryFileName END CString=C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business\Setup\95c8f59f-8a79-45fe-9937-90683b35d3e8.ini
  MakeFileLocal START
    GetSourceType START
    GetSourceType END
    DownloadRemoteFile START
      CopyResourceToFile START
      CopyResourceToFile END long=0
    DownloadRemoteFile END long=0
  MakeFileLocal END long=0
PrepareRemotePatchDescriptor END long=0
No patches available
FreeSchedulerInterface START
FreeSchedulerInterface END long=0
_tWinMain final result: 0

Press any key to exit console...

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
The problem is that your updater don't support microupdates at all, we will solve this ASAP

Edit by Lukor: only early versions of Avast 8 don't support microupdates (they support emergency-updates though and we'll deliver the patch by this channel), if you are running any version from recent years you should get the fix automatically
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:08:18 PM by lukor »

REDACTED

The problem is that your updater don't support microupdates at all, we will solve this ASAP

Thank you!

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
mcorelan, can you please provide content of your "c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.ini" file?

REDACTED

mcorelan, can you please provide content of your "c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.ini" file?

[Config]
LastAppliedPatchId=325

REDACTED

forget what I wrote]

I had to run the Update from the console and then it worked.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:18:45 PM by JThan »

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team

I just looked it up too - because I also seem to not get the microupdate?

Current Version: 17.9.2322 (build: 17.9.3761.0)

Code: [Select]
[Config]
LastAppliedPatchId=371

Can you please provide console output from "AvEmUpdate.exe /debug" command? It must be executed elevated.