Author Topic: Avast Internet Security not recognizing recent router firmware update  (Read 1986 times)

Offline lynspottery

I recently updated my router firmware, but my Avast Internet Security scan did not recognize this.

Netgear Router:
AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Model R6400

I want to know why my router does not recognize the firmware update.  I've attached a screen shot of the message I got after I did my scan.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
Re: Avast Internet Security not recognizing recent router firmware update
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
Hello,

And thank you for your report.
There are two possibilities:
- The update did not fix the issue
- The update fixed the issue, but only partially (causing false-positive detection on our side)

We will investigate and update our detection of the vulnerability, if it is the second case.

Thanks,
Filip

Offline merckxist

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
I have the same router R6400(v1) and have updated to the latest available firmware, V1.0.1.36_1.0.25, and get the same result as you do from the Avast WiFi scan. You didn't include the version number of the firmware you recently installed on your router, but if its equal to or lower than what I listed, its likely a Netgear issue. This problem is discussed at length in this topic: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=215664.0. There are additional suggestions there about mitigating the vulnerability and a test you can do independently of Avast to confirm what Avast is reporting.

Offline lynspottery

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
There was only one update offered when I logged into my router dashboard so assumed it was the latest one.  That was done within the last couple of weeks, unless they've come out with a newer update.

I received an email telling me about the update and that is the only notification I got about the firmware update being offered.

Edit:  my firmware ver:  V1.0.1.36_1.0.25
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:08:48 PM by lynspottery »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:25 PM »
avast has detected this vulnerability (CVE-207-14491) on heaps of routers even updated for months but the manufacturers do not seem to care too much, especially since there are no or few other security suites that detect this vulnerability.
Few routers have DnsMasq software version 2.78

Offline lynspottery

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:09:25 PM »
Thank you.