Author Topic: Yet Another 4.1.319 Pro Bug  (Read 5621 times)

sowen

Yet Another 4.1.319 Pro Bug
« on: December 28, 2003, 07:53:01 PM »
If I change the virus action for the standard shield to anything other than "interactive/choose action", the shield doesn't work.

Instead of silent mode, I wanted to specify that the standard shield should take the following action:
       repair -> if failed then move to chest -> if failed then delete

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 01:59:46 PM by sowen »

Culpeper

Re:Yet Another 4.1.319 Pro Bug
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 08:34:58 PM »
This is a free support forum.  Keep that in mind when posting here if you expect something positive in return.  If you have a complaint just send the Avast team a private message or an email.  Airing out your dirty laundry in a public forum is the last place to receive empathy from peer users.

When reporting a bug please specify details about your machine.  This prevents those that want to help from having to ask for the information only to find out the original poster has no intention of continuing the thread.  There are those that want active peer support and there are those that just want to complain.  Which is it?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 08:40:58 PM by Culpeper »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 09:02:58 PM »
I'm sure the problems will be explored and if they're found to be bugs, they'll be fixed soon (nobody reported these problems yet - I wonder if it means that people don't use these features at all ???).
Just keep in mind, please, that it's weekend (and Christmas, at that), so it may take a few days. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Otherwise, as Culpeper suggested, it would be nice if you could post some more info about the problem (what OS do you use, what does it mean "this doesn't work", etc). I guess some of the info could probably be found in the other threads, but it's always better for the programmers to have all the information in one place.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 09:08:22 PM by igor »

sowen

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 09:44:23 PM »
Hi Igor, thanks for your reply.

As for "doesn't work", I mean if I change the settings as described, Avast doesn't appear to detect the virus nor take any action. Avast only seems to detect and take action when set to "interactive".

To test it, I downloaded a copy of the harmless eicar virus, 'eicar.com', available at www.eicar.org. Then I use right-mouse click to copy 'eicar.com' file to a new file (e.g. eicar2.com).

When set to the standard shield to Interactive (with or without 'silent'), Avast detects the virus and takes action.

However, if I change the settings as described above, then Avast doesn't detect the virus, and lets me copy and/or run the file without any messages or actions.

I'm using Avast Pro 4.1.319 and WinXP with all possible updates and patches applied.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 10:12:58 PM »
Do you have the Standard Shield's sensitivity set to Normal, High or Custom?

Also, could you please try to actually execute the eicar.com file?
(in contrary to mere copying).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zappafan

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 10:22:17 PM »
Hmmmm....
ive just think.
Why do ppl make changes in the program?
I mean avast just doing what I want, without lots of conf.
And I think for most common ppl this is the best, dont even try conf, if you do, please you better know what to do.

So, let avast take care!
But, If, for some reason, ppl wanna make some conf. aint any website on that?

BTW: Is it really a bug!
Dont say it is until someone really know.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 10:25:23 PM by zappafan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 01:30:42 AM »
Do you have the Standard Shield's sensitivity set to Normal, High or Custom?

Also, could you please try to actually execute the eicar.com file?
(in contrary to mere copying).

Thanks
Vlk

Sowen, Vlk could be right. To detect the file as the eicar test file must be opened for detection. This is how the test works... or you must run eicar.com file.

Zappafan, could you rephase your post? I cannot understand it... Is it a bug that avast team is not recognizing? I don't think so.
The best things in life are free.

sowen

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 10:23:02 AM »
It is a bug. The shield's settings were set to 'high'. Check my posting "bug or am i doing something wrong" for an explanation and a workaround.

If you create a new resident protection task (i.e. don't just copy the original one, but actually create a new one) and set it to default, then change the settings/actions as I described above, then eicar test virus is detected and handled the moment you copy it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 10:24:51 AM by sowen »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 02:16:12 PM »
It is a bug. The shield's settings were set to 'high'. Check my posting "bug or am i doing something wrong" for an explanation and a workaround.

If you create a new resident protection task (i.e. don't just copy the original one, but actually create a new one) and set it to default, then change the settings/actions as I described above, then eicar test virus is detected and handled the moment you copy it.

You seem to be right. I read your other forum. I'll wait for Vlk explanations.
Anyway, very wellcome to forums and your quite good posted messages  ;D
I'll do some tests later to confirm the behaviors that you described.

Igor, you wrote: nobody reported these problems yet - I wonder if it means that people don't use these features at all

Sometimes I think the major concurrent of avast! Pro is avast! Home  ;D
I wonder if it will be usefull (for merchandising) to start a poll forum about this  ::)
The best things in life are free.