Author Topic: Is there any way to turn off password generator?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline harryburk212

Is there any way to turn off password generator?
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:06:48 AM »
I like Avast for autofilling in my saved passwords, but the 'generator' feature is, frankly, driving me up the wall.
Is there any way to disable it?

Seems a bit ridiculous that this isn't a simple toggle in preferences.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Is there any way to turn off password generator?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »
Sorry we don't have this option. Could you please provide us the information why the password generator drives you crazy? Is it because automatic password generation in general or because we put password generator incorrectly to login forms which can be in combination with automatic password generated on focus super annoying.
If the second case is trough, could you please provide list of sites so we can fix the issue for all the users?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Yes, I am also finding this feature frustrating and it has messed up my attempts to register with several different sites.  Sometimes the generated password does not match the requirements of the site in respect of allowed characters.  There are also problems when you have to repeat the password and Avast generates a new one.  It is then sometimes impossible to continue with the registration or the site locks you out after 3 unsuccessful attempts to enter the password.  This caused my bank card to be blocked on one occasion and I had the hassle of contacting my bank to sort it out.
I may have to abandon Avast and uninstall.  This would be a pity as generally it is a useful piece of software and can save time.
Please address this issue as a matter or urgency.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 12:49:45 AM »
I also find this annoying.  When the generated password block shows up just closing it doesn't help because the generated password is not selected and the password has to be manually deleted in order to enter what you want.   And, since the password is often larger than the field it is difficult to ensure the entire generated password is deleted.  Please don't be "nanny security" and let us choose if we want a generated password instead of automatically generating it.

Offline cathyanderson77

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:14 PM »
I also find the password generator HIGHLY annoying.

If I can't turn it off, I will have to uninstall Avast and go somewhere else.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »
If I can't find a way to disable that annoying automatic password generator I will simply cancel Avast!

Offline VikB

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:09:26 PM »
Password generator is very frustrating! When I try to login to a site with my saved passwords, the Avast password auto generator kicks in and stays on top of the login button and in rush I always ending up clicking the generate password and messing up my saved passwords! I need a way to disable this feature of Avast. Once my saved passwords are overwritten it is so damn difficult to reset with some sites as they dont let us use the previous passwords!

Since I didnt find a feature to disable password generator, I ended up disabling Chrome integration of avast unwillingly. And my next step will be to uninstall avast and find something else. So, whoever designed this feature, please reconsider and allow users to enable/disable toggle feature instead of forcing us to use what you provide! Dont let this stupid feature to dislike avast which has been my most favorite anti virus so far!