Author Topic: Uninstall has unforseen consequences  (Read 2820 times)

REDACTED

Uninstall has unforseen consequences
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
A few days ago I installed a new hard drive and attempted to move things around in my system.  Having transferred almost 500GB of data to the new drive I noticed that my PC (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), had become a little sluggish and was displaying some odd behaviour.  Chief amongst this was the fact that the Windows start button stopped working and Windows settings page remained "unpopulated" (i.e. completely blank), when I was able to load it from the taskbar.  In preparation for an update reinstall of Windows 10 (that I never carried out) I set about uninstalling my copy of Avast Free Antivirus.  Beginning with a straightforward uninstall, using CCleaner I then used the avastclear utility to boot into safe mode and complete the uninstallation.  When I fully booted back into Windows, all my issues seemed to have been resolved.  It occurred to me that perhaps my issues had been caused because in moving data to my new hard drive I had moved my installation of Avast Free Antivirus (even though its new location had the same drive letter as before etc.), and despite the fact that it appeared to be working normally, this is what had caused my problems and removal of the Antivirus had solved them.

Unfortunately a couple of days later I decided to perform a fresh install of Avast Free Antivirus.  The installation appeared to go as expected and I elected to perform a quick scan on completion.  After approx 10 minutes the scan showed no progress beyond 0% and so I clicked on the button on the user interface to Stop Scan.  After many minutes the scan stopped.  I decided at that point to uninstall Avast Free Antivirus as it was not performing as expected and began with a straightforward uninstall using CCleaner and then used avastclear utility again.  This booted me into safe mode and completed.  However, I find that the original problems have returned, plus whenever I boot I am presented with a choice between booting into Windows 10 or into Avast Uninstall  utility (or whatever) which boots me into safe mode and does precisely nothing.  I also notice that despite the fact that I have supposedly uninstalled Avast Free Antivirus, Avast Overseer is still loading on my system.

Help would be much appreciated.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Uninstall has unforseen consequences
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
Hello,
similar issue (CZ): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211963.msg1436404#msg1436404

I will try to translate:
Run console as admin:

bcdedit.exe /v

Find identifier for "Avast Antivirus Clear Uninstall"

i.e.:
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {aaecd689-bf63-11e3-9045-b54d1a565033}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Avast Antivirus Clear Uninstall
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence        {aaecd686-bf63-11e3-9045-b54d1a565033}
recoveryenabled         Yes
testsigning             Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
dbgtransport            kdbazis.dll
resumeobject            {aaecd684-bf63-11e3-9045-b54d1a565033}
nx                      OptIn
safeboot                Network
custom:26000027         Yes
debug                   Yes

Delete appropriate identifier:

bcdedit.exe /delete {aaecd689-bf63-11e3-9045-b54d1a565033}

Milos

REDACTED

Re: Uninstall has unforseen consequences
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »
Hi Milos, thanks for this.  I cheated and used EasyBCD to delete the offending item.  Problem solved, but I'm not impressed with the Avast uninstall utility.