Author Topic: Popup made to look like ransomware  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Robert925

Popup made to look like ransomware
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »
Several time I've been getting a new tab in Firefox without asking for it. The URL is a long one and typically begins with mainrdrct.global.ssl.fastly.net/... or adverrd.global.ssl.fastly.net/... or 174.138.52.107 or  159.89.37.24.

A popup appears, which cannot be dismissed, with title "Authentication Required" and says something about "Internet Security Alert" and asks for login ID and Password. Meanwhile, the new tab shows a scary bright red panel saying "Internet Security Alert! Code 055BCCAC9FEC" and other text implying my PC has been compromised (this is made to look like ransomware).

This is extremely annoying because it takes some effort to close down Firefox and re-open without that popup re-appearing. Even more troubling is that Avast appears to have caught something similar several times last November, with message "We've safely aborted connection on mainredir2.global.ssl.fastly.net because it was infected with JS:ScriptIP-inf
]. So why isn't Avast catching this now?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Popup made to look like ransomware
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
First screenshot is a HTML.FakeAlert

Instructions to follow  >>   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0

Offline Robert925

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »
Really? I've already spent a LOT of time on this. I should now spend a LOT more time on this? Shouldn't Avast (paid version) be protecting me? Especially since it was doing so a couple months ago.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
NO security program have 100% detection or zero false positives

The malware world is not static, it changes as we speak, bad guys constantly try to figure out new ways to penetrate security

The one above is more annoying then dangerous, IF you call them they try to trick you in to buying some support that may not do anything, or they install some malware

Lots of videos on youtube about fake support

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:39:12 PM by Pondus »

Offline Robert925

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
OK. Thanks for the quick replies. I've got the Block Site plugin running, but the perpetrators' IP keeps changing so it's hard to keep up.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »
If you want help, follow instructions I gave link to and a malware expert will assist you

You may have some crap that trigger the popup and need to be removed