Author Topic: avast! it goes badly  (Read 53443 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: avast! it goes badly
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 08:55:09 AM »
Junk 80% ?     But 20% are malwares !!!!

Kaspersky examines all and in few hours it creates the signatures.

Wrong :)
But appearently, you know more people in their virus lab then me, so you know better. ;)

Such instances make one wonder if Avast is giving sufficient protection.

I have been trialling F-Secure on my laptop. I doubt that I am going to keep it after the trial period, and one of the options is Avast Home. This thread does not give one much confidence, does it?

You must realize one thing, and that is, prioritization of samples. Some samples require immediate attention, and usually cause a release of an extra VPS (e.g. 30 minutes after we receive the sample), some are medium priority and are usually processed in the timeframe of days, and some are low-priority samples, and these usually get batch processed once in a couple of weeks (may change to once a week in the near future).

To decide what is high/moderate/low priority is up to the experience of the virus analyst, of course (so there may be human mistakes). But I find it ridiculous when someone comes here and starts saying that this and that product processes all samples in a couple of hours, because it's simply not true (and, indeed, is not even desirable).

If you want to determine the detection rates of a given product, use the results of a respectfull test (e.g. IBK's www.av-comparatives.org).

Thanks
Vlk

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 08:58:52 AM »
Such instances make one wonder if Avast is giving sufficient protection.

Just what is sufficient protection - how is it defined?

This thread does not give one much confidence, does it?

How do you measure confidence? 

We bandy about these terms with abandon in these discussions as if they have anything other than emotional meaning.

I am grateful for all the self-proclaimed experts telling avast how to do a better job - both technically and in how to run their business - I am sure the avast team must find the advice most helpful.  I hope and believe that some of the advice is helping avast be a better product.   

However, I look at the price point and I look at on the ground experience.  The price point of the home version cannot be beaten.  For the two years that I and those I support have been using avast there has been no instance of infection not found by avast that have infected our systems or been detected by the other layered scans that we use - but avast is and has been the resident antivirus.

Sure we could have paid a lot of money over the past two years for a better rated antivirus product - and it would have given us nothing, zero, zilch above and beyond the protection afforded us by avast.

If threads are going to apply terms like "confidence" and "sufficient protection" to avast then the (albeit small) community I represent does have "confidence" and our experience is of "sufficient protection" from avast.

Of course, the instant it lets something through that hurts us - you can bet I will be in here complaining as loudly as anyone (but I do have additional defence layers in case it happens - do you?).     

JerryM

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 05:35:23 PM »
I do agree that the best measure of effectiveness that is easily available are the results of AV Comparatives tests. Those tests give Avast good marks.

If the Jotti's tests are worth anything, however, then it is apparent that Avast lags. Just for my own information, I took 20 of Jotti's tests results as they came out, and I saw them. Of the 7 AVs Avast had the worst detection record, detecting only 4 out of the 20. The two best were KAV with 12 detections and Dr Web with 11.

While I will not argue that those are not the best tests, if they are worth anything then Avast is slow at adding the malware to their base.

There is nothinthing emotional about this. It is based upon data whether one considers it good or not. The experience of users is also worth considering. That is what we are doing here.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 05:56:01 PM »
There is nothinthing emotional about this. It is based upon data whether one considers it good or not.
There are times you have to consider what kind of data is used. I personally don't care if avast! doesn't detect some
virus that hasn't been around in ages.
I do care if I'm not protected from what's currently in the wild.
Up till now, avast! has NOT let me down.
When it does, you'll all know.....  ;D
You also can't trust just one program to be your total arsenal of protection.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
If the Jotti's tests are worth anything, however, then it is apparent that Avast lags. Just for my own information, I took 20 of Jotti's tests results as they came out, and I saw them. Of the 7 AVs Avast had the worst detection record, detecting only 4 out of the 20. The two best were KAV with 12 detections and Dr Web with 11.

I don't understand; Jotti uses 15 engines, not 7.

Anyway, I think it's ALWAYS a bad idea to use Jotti's immediate results to judge ANY detection rate. Here's why:

1. you don't know what the files are like. They can be false positives. They can be trashed samples. Anything. And as I said, indeed, about 80% of what we're getting from VT/Jotti is actually junk.

2. Even if all the samples were OK (which is not the case), Jotti uses the linux versions of the engines. But e.g. in the case of avast, the linux version has considerably lower detection rates because of lack of many unpackers. For this reason, it's always better to use VirusTotal (which uses Windows engines) to verify if certain file is/isn't picked by avast.

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
BTW I just visited Jotti's web site and here's what it shows for the last infected file.

Lack of detection? I don't think so... :)

JerryM

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »
BTW I just visited Jotti's web site and here's what it shows for the last infected file.

Lack of detection? I don't think so... :)
Hi Vlk,

I just kept up with 7; BD, Avast, KAV, NOD, Antivir, Dr Web, and AVG.

I did not select the tests in order to prove anything, but wanted to  know how the various AVs did. I was, frankly, wondering how BD compared with KAV and NOD.

Of the 20 tests that I noted at random none detected them all for whatever reason.
BD- 5
Avast-4
KAV-12
NOD-9
Antivir-8
Dr Web-11
AVG-7

If one wanted to select the tests to prove his point he could always find some which would show his choice detected more than the rest. However, that was not my purpose, and in this case I was not especially interested in Avast.

But the results are what they were. I do not think that the Jottis results are nearly enough to sway the selection of an AV.
I just now looked and in this case the only AV that caught the sample was Kaspersky. That does not prove much because it happened once. However, there is some legitimate consideration if multiple tests are considered.

There are better indicators than Jottis, but it is worth considering, especially in the area of how fast updates to signatures are made.

Best,
Jerry

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »
especially in the area of how fast updates to signatures are made.
Only if the sample is a legitamate contender for an update.
Most items or a least a gread deal of them aren't.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

JerryM

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »
especially in the area of how fast updates to signatures are made.
Only if the sample is a legitamate contender for an update.
Most items or a least a gread deal of them aren't.
True. However, I do see often someone who is well versed in this stuff, tell one to submit the sample to Jotti.

I have seen several reports that noted when a new virus appeared, and how fast the various AVs added it to their signature bases, and it was detected. In all cases Avast was one of the slower AVs, and not by minutes but by days in some cases. I wish I could remember the sites, but I do  not and, therefore, my statement is not good in a court of law.

What we are really discussing here is the speed with which Avast does include a signature in its data base. I have seen enough data to convince me that it is one of the slowest. That is not unimportant in selection of an AV.

All AVs are good enough until one gets infected.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
What we are really discussing here is the speed with which Avast does include a signature in its data base. I have seen enough data to convince me that it is one of the slowest. That is not unimportant in selection of an AV.
Anyway, things seem to be better and becoming better.

All AVs are good enough until one gets infected.
Sure... when we get infected we forgot any other reasons that support the AV we were using  :(

Other Vlk posts about AV comparisons:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4979.msg36041#msg36041
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12175.msg102828#msg102828
Here how independent are some of these tests: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14071.0
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 08:05:39 PM »
 :)  Hi all :

Perhaps those that regularly recommend Jotti will cease
      based on Vlk's Info on their use of Linux-based  Versions ?

JerryM

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »
No doubt that most, I think, test orgs are not really independent. I do not trust magazines and such that test or have it done. I believe they are influenced by advertisers.

The only one that I place much stock in is AV Comparatives.

I also agree that detection rates are not the single criterion with which to make a selection. An AV that does not run well on your system is almost worthless. I could name one that is considered a top rung AV that has so many issues on some systems that it is useless. I personally experience that problem.

But the reason I have any security application is to provide protection from malware. Accordingly, if several AVs run well on my systems, and if money is not a problem then I select the one with the best detection rates. I will also say that support is an important consideration.

I do not  have any special dedication to any software, and so if it does well for me, I keep it. If it does not suit my criteria, then I dump it.

As we have discussed before, layering is very important. I just re-installed Avast Home on my laptop. I do not use it on the internet  much except when I travel in our RV and such.
While I would not trust Avast alone as much as a few other AVs, the amount of use it gets, and the other applications I use; Ewido plus, SuperAntiSpyware, Win Patrol Plus, Kerio 2.1.5, UnHackMe, and Snoopfree, give me the security I think I need.

While I would not want to trust any one AV alone, there are some better than others.

Best,
Jerry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 09:04:39 PM »
:)  Hi all :

Perhaps those that regularly recommend Jotti will cease
      based on Vlk's Info on their use of Linux-based  Versions ?

Well I normally also give virustotal and in most cases where we give the references to Jotti and VirusTotal it is more for confirmation of a false positive detection or otherwise. So if more AVs also record it as infected it is less likely to be a false positive.

So for this purpose (FP confirmation, etc) I don't see the Linux engine being a problem, that backed up by the windows engine of virustotal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 01:17:33 AM »
Had the insufficient protection of avast! I have installed the AntiVir (better in heuristic) and the Kaspersky online  (better in on-demand).   The evaluation made for the AV-Comparatives me does not seem true in relation on-demand

In all the tests that I made in the Virustotal the VPS had become available of the following way:

Kaspersky some hours

AVG of one the two days

AntiVir of two the three weeks

Avast never ...  :'(    Only now avast! it is reacting: one week
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:21:22 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 02:18:01 AM »
I asume you are no longer using avast ?
As both antivir and avast being resident scanners will clash with avast disabling elements to avoid conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security