Author Topic: avast! it goes badly  (Read 53448 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win ME
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »
[Well, today (friday) I sent for virus@avast.com a false positive.   I want to see in how much time I will have reply.
thekeys[1].htm it's not infected by VBS:Malware [Script].[/color][/b]
Why does YOUR avast does not detect it and VirusTotal did?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! it goes badly
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31:14 PM »
Yes, only one is active (avast! ) with the other ( AntiVir )I make scan.

Another thing, today (thursday) and tuesday avast! it did not have VPS.   Yesterday (wednesday) the VPS was of only 9 KB.   AntiVir and AVG (except saturday and sunday) have VPS every day.   Tthis always occurs…

avast! it goes badly !!!!!!
Having two resident scanners on your system, without much tweaking doesn't work. It has been noted many times in these forums that avast and antivir don't work well together, even if one is disabled. They both try to enable drivers and may have conflicting registry legacy keys. avast when it finds other resident AVs will disable elements to avoid conflict, so you might well be making yourself more vulnerable.

avast doesn't have a schedule of VPS updates, they are issued when there are any available, there have been times when I have had 4 updates in a day, rather than an average of 3-4 per week. I have been using avast for over two years without problem.

If you are so disappointed with avast, no one is stopping you from seeking pastures new.

It seems like your only contribution to these forums is this Topic you started, somewhat different from this one - Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21862.msg182077#msg182077 Strange that the two Topics that you created could be so opposed  ::)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2006, 10:45:51 PM »
i would like to point out one important thing

Jotti uses linux versions and VirusTotal uses Windows versions of AV/AT/AS software ...

i noticed very often that some Jotti AV fails on marking multiple packers and archives while VirusTotal version of same get it ...

then i noticed same vice versa with some linux based malware ...

so IF you going to compare Avast effectivity for Windows i suggest You use VirusTotal first ... then recheck with Jotti
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2006, 12:06:27 AM »

Jotti uses linux versions and VirusTotal uses Windows versions of AV/AT/AS software ...

Yes I believe Vlk mentioned this in the thread, reply #34.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:55 AM »
[Well, today (friday) I sent for virus@avast.com a false positive.   I want to see in how much time I will have reply.
thekeys[1].htm it's not infected by VBS:Malware [Script].[/color][/b]
Why does YOUR avast does not detect it and VirusTotal did?

:) Hi  Tech

Flamengo 1 X Vasco 0  
O Fla é bicampeão parabéns...   aaeeee...  eim...

" thekeys[1].htm it's not infected by VBS:Malware [Script] "  I wrote in the email for the Alwil ( my avast! it also detects it ).

Hey  DavidR

Having two resident scanners on your system, without much tweaking doesn't work. It has been noted many times in these forums that avast and antivir don't work well together, even if one is disabled. They both try to enable drivers and may have conflicting registry legacy keys. avast when it finds other resident AVs will disable elements to avoid conflict, so you might well be making yourself more vulnerable.

I do not believe.   Not yet I observed conflicts between the two.

avast doesn't have a schedule of VPS updates, they are issued when there are any available, there have been times when I have had 4 updates in a day, rather than an average of 3-4 per week. I have been using avast for over two years without problem.

You are satisfied with the current situation of avast ????
It sees, today ( friday ) AntiVir had of VPS 200 KB and avast! only 8 KB...  :'(  :'(  :'(
If you are satisfied then not necessary to improve and you will continue with one antivirus weak in detection !!!

If you are so disappointed with avast, no one is stopping you from seeking pastures new.

For this reason I have installed AntiVir and Kaspersky online.

It seems like your only contribution to these forums is this Topic you started, somewhat different from this one - Congratulations to frequent VPS updates of Avast - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21862.msg182077#msg182077 Strange that the two Topics that you created could be so opposed.

I do not see as the topical opposites also I alerted on the lack of examination for the Alwil of files distributed by the VirusTotal.   I could not disagree with the initiated topic therefore I had been one week atypical  ( he would have that to wait to see if updates would continue being daily in the following weeks ).

My only objective when initiating this post was to display the situation for Alwil so that it comes to improve avast!   Contrary case would go everything to continue in the way that is.

I would not have as much work if avast did not like it!   I guarantee to it.

And to change this situation with our union we will go to obtain success.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:26:53 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2006, 05:00:50 AM »
I think that you have to give credit where credit is due. I think avast is doing much better with their updates. just look at the size of todays update.

http://www.avast.com/eng/vps_history.html
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2006, 05:34:36 AM »
I think that you have to give credit where credit is due. I think avast is doing much better with their updates. just look at the size of todays update.

http://www.avast.com/eng/vps_history.html

Hi  marc57

Still it is early for compliments…   
Alwil continues not examining what it is distributed by the VirusTotal and its VPS are not daily (3 or 4 per week only) and with few KB each generally.   Others antivirus are better.
I have sent files malicious for VirusTotal and these are not being examined.   And many are files malicious that they are sent every day for the VirusTotal.
The detection pro-activates (heuristic) also needs to be improved (AV-Comparatives).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 05:44:45 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2006, 06:12:30 AM »
Oh dear ... is this just coming down to a "my VPS is bigger than yours" contest?

How are you measuring the value of VPS updates ... by frequency and size?

We can soon descend into unnecessary analogies I know ... but seriously ...

If we follow your logic then the "other" product (whatever it is) that you are comparing with avast must very soon with its frequency and size of updates have literally millions more signatures than avast and must be the best antivirus in the world by any measurement.

Why do we not all flock to it in droves and pay whatever money it asks for such frequent and huge updates?

Why ... perhaps because the basis of your faith is flawed?   

Sorry for the old analogy ... quality versus quantity.  I really do want you to keep avast on its toes and looking over its shoulder at the competition ... but you are straining my logic. 

The real and only useful test for any antivirus ... if only we could have it ... is how many of its users got infected today?   

For those of us that did not ... avast stays as our product of choice for another day.     
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:14:31 AM by alanrf »

TAP

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2006, 06:29:28 AM »

You are satisfied with the current situation of avast ????
It sees, today ( friday ) AntiVir had of VPS 200 KB and avast! only 8 KB...  :'(  :'(  :'(

Try to read these comments...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20767.msg173909#msg173909

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2006, 06:58:23 AM »
It has idea of as they are the updates of others antivirus?
I know the AVG, the AntiVir and the Kaspersky.
All the day has VPS and with many KB… They knew?

What I want to say is that this type of comparison is only one parameter for evaluation ( superficial evaluation ).

In this Saturday for example we had 20 KB of VPS.   I consider a good update in comparison with others antivirus.

My objective to post in fórum is to show the Alwil that the users of avast! they are intent the quality.   It is to wait that the Alwil improves avast!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:24:50 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »

Yes I believe Vlk mentioned this in the thread, reply #34.

oi me blindly blind ... argh ...  :o ;D
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »
It has idea of as they are the updates of others antivirus?
I know the AVG, the AntiVir and the Kaspersky.
All the day has VPS and with many KB… They knew?

What I want to say is that this type of comparison is only one parameter for evaluation ( superficial evaluation ).

In this Saturday for example we had 20 KB of VPS.   I consider a good update in comparison with others antivirus.

My objective to post in fórum is to show the Alwil that the users of avast! they are intent the quality.   It is to wait that the Alwil improves avast!

The deal is incremental updates, in doing so avast is able to keep the update VPS size small. We don't know how/what others do so we can't compare directly, so unless you compare like with like the exercise is pointless. I do know that that some don't use incremental updates at all and you are forced to download megabytes rather than kilobytes, so based on your logic the larger the better, I think not.

I'm glad that we now know your objective " to show the Alwil that the users of avast! they are intent the quality." Strange since you are no longer an avast user. I also believe they have heard this from a number of sources in the past and are striving to achieve this and also introduce other improvements to avast, not to do so would not make commercial sense.
So to continue banging on about the same thing in this way won't achieve anything other than for this topic to go to the dogs as I believe it is beginning to and it will lose the original purpose and your objective.

For this reason I have installed AntiVir and Kaspersky online.

I'm sure they will welcome your feed back on 'their' forums.

duke

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2006, 04:56:42 PM »
Hello. I use FireFox Browser with Site Advisor, Kerio 4.2.2 Firewall, practice safe surfing, and of course use Avast as my Antivirus. Why Avast? Because even though I use what is considered a safe browser, a decent Firewall, plus watch what sites I go on. Avast simply gives me an added confindence that I'm well protected.  But wait that's not all!  There's more! LOLOL This confidence is more than I felt using AVG Free for protection, and although I have tried Antivir with it's better detection rate and Nag Screen, I still have more confidence in using Avast because of it's updater  compared to Antivir's. Add in the very helpful Forum here, that in my opinion surpasses both of these Antiviruses Forums, (And others) and it just gives me one more reason to have confidence in using Avast.

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2006, 01:47:09 AM »
I come back to repeat…

What I wait is that the analysts of avast! they examine everything regularly what it is distributed by the VirusTotal and also everything what it is sent for virus@avast.com

I have 13 malicious files (image below) that they had been sent for VirusTotal and avast! until today he does not detect them.   AntiVir, AVG and Kaspersky detect all.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:03:37 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2006, 03:03:45 AM »
What I'd like to know is where you're getting these from so I can relate
as to whether or not they are something dangerous for us or just files
that we never have to worry about in the first place.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet