Author Topic: avast! it goes badly  (Read 53446 times)

JerryM

Re: avast! it goes badly
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
What I'd like to know is where you're getting these from so I can relate
as to whether or not they are something dangerous for us or just files
that we never have to worry about in the first place.

Me Too.

I often wonder, when someone is complaining at all the virus type malware on their systems just where have they been to get such infections. If certain sites are bad, then I intend to stay away from them, and not depend upon my security apps to protect me.

Best,
Jerry

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2006, 02:33:36 AM »
Hello !

I am returning...

I come here to communicate that finally the analysts of avast! they are examining the distribution of the VirusTotal (even so they have to improve).

Sunday, 24 of September, I tested file “virtualcard.exe” (Trojan) in the VirusTotal and today, 10 of October (15 days after), avast! now it detects it.

Now only I have to complain of the examination that is not being made of files that they are sent for virus@avast.com (from the chest).

ANALYSTS OF THE AVAST!   PLEASE, EXAMINE THE FILES THAT ARE SENDING FOR THE E-MAIL virus@avast.com !!!  THIS WAS ABANDONED !!!

Initiate the topic “avast! it goes badly” was important…
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:05:27 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2006, 03:37:58 AM »
I wish Alwil team take in a very special account the files send to analysis by known contributors and forum members  ::)
Anyway, seems that you've added the file to Chest on September 24th... look at the Chest picture...
Are you sure that avast only detected it today?  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2006, 05:33:52 AM »
Hi Tech  :D

Yes, it was only detected in day 10 of October.   

It sees in the image below the name of the Trojan in the VPS of day 10 of October.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:36:06 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
Yes, it was only detected in day 10 of October.
:'(  :'(

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »
Well the samples that Henrique - RJ send were added to the VPS after 15 days.
I send samples to Alwil on 18.08.2006 and even got reply: "Samples from your emails (17.8,
18.8 ) will be added in some of next VPS updates.", but now we are 11.10.2006 and still nothing - with exception of 4 samples which were added not long ago (I send them about 10 new samples)  :P
And that was the time when I recieved a respond. I don't want to mention the times when I did not recieved and respond - and the samples I send were not added.
Or when they add detection and after few weeks they remove the detection (few times). What's the sense in that  :P

I wonder when the new submition system will be out?  ::)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2006, 04:55:14 AM »
I wonder when the new submition system will be out?  ::)
Why coudn't Alwil manage this yet? It's a pity that the submition and update process weren't much better after some new people were working there on Alwil lab...
Why?  ??? ::)

Trial_user

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2006, 07:18:33 AM »
Well, poor Henrique!  :o

I understand you want to help to improve Avast and this is a noble and chastisingly painful experience and cause, but there is only so much you can do. I suggest learning how to code C and VB, then you can help improving the engines and updating detection routines and signatures, a perfect job for a junior programmer, and under my wing you would become a code mage but this is beyond the point.

I like Avast to be honest. The modular engines etc. But it's not about techs whining or people complaining, it's about common sense. I mean as a simple user after waiting months?? for signatures to be included, I would choose another AV. I've had some false positive I wanted to be included in VPS and it took a little time and was done and my contribution was for ever lasting. It wasn't as painful or long as it is for you.

May compassion help,
I commend you and wish you luck in your grand endeavor,
Trial_User_Re(Un)Installing.

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2007, 04:27:23 PM »
Hello, I'm coming back !

I have avast Home Edition 4,7 installed in my computer and what much dislikes me it is the delay in the inclusion of the new detention of malwares.

It has weeks that I sent for virus@avast.com, ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and for the VirusTotal (http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html) some types of malwares and until today none of them it is detected by avast.

Many computers for the world that trust the security in avast must be being contaminated for these malwares that I sent. It seems that they are not priority for the analysts of avast malwares coming from these sources.

avast! it goes badly !

snarky

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
However, I look at the price point and I look at on the ground experience.  The price point of the home version cannot be beaten.  For the two years that I and those I support have been using avast there has been no instance of infection not found by avast that have infected our systems or been detected by the other layered scans that we use - but avast is and has been the resident antivirus.

You and those you support use avast! Home?  Surely you do not provide support for free, right?  Because if you use your computer for work, you do not qualify for the avast! Home license...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2007, 02:23:01 AM »
Surely you do not provide support for free, right?
Wrong. Can't you believe that there are people that share the experience of avast for free?
Would you think that they will 'pay' all of us? Our time?
Forget it... something different than money move us 8)

Because if you use your computer for work, you do not qualify for the avast! Home license...
In my work computer I use avast Professional version. In two home computers, the home version.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2007, 05:53:23 AM »
snarky

yes, to those I support my services are entirely free. 

mouniernetwork

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2007, 01:57:10 AM »
Dear Henrique,

I like you have submitted virus in the past and know that it is very fustrating to wait for the detection which can sometimes be very long, however please understand that virus (@) avast (.) net gets a minimum of 3000 emails per day and so its very hard for them to read all the emails in time.
I also agree that Alwil should work on the problem because as Avast gets more popular it is likely that avast will get more emails submitting files and so Avast should ajust now.

Al968

Henrique - RJ

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »
Dear Henrique,

I like you have submitted virus in the past and know that it is very fustrating to wait for the detection which can sometimes be very long, however please understand that virus (@) avast (.) net gets a minimum of 3000 emails per day and so its very hard for them to read all the emails in time.
I also agree that Alwil should work on the problem because as Avast gets more popular it is likely that avast will get more emails submitting files and so Avast should ajust now.

Al968
But this doesn't happen with the Kaspersky that also receives thousand from samples every day and it processes them in 24 hours.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:10:39 AM by Henrique - RJ »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
But this doesn't happen with the Kaspersky that also receives thousand from samples every day and it processes them in 24 hours.
The more we try to explain the worse becomes the situation.
It's urgent that Alwil improve detection & submition of viruses.
Can the users be happy with less than this?