Author Topic: Does Avast Home Edition ever attempt to take screenshots?  (Read 3256 times)

wumply

Does Avast Home Edition ever attempt to take screenshots?
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »
Hi:

I just got an anti keylogger which (just once I believe) indicated that Avast had attempted to take a snapshot of some screen. 

Does Avast do this for its own purposes (that is, deliberately) or is it perhaps some part of Avast that is similar to a keyhook program which might cause a totally heuristic anti keylogger (like mine) to inform me that Avast WAS trying to take a snapshot?

The specific program my anti keylogger stopped from a screenshot was ashSimpl.exe.  For the record, I instructed the keylogger to allow ashSimple.exe screenshot attempts full time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does Avast Home Edition ever attempt to take screenshots?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:49:57 AM »
Short answer No it doesn't have the capability to take screen shots.

I can't see why ashSimpl.exe at the end of a scan it displays a window listing files that couldn't be scanned, perhaps this is what your keylogger is confused with, I wouldn't call that a screen shot but a pop-up window..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wumply

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:22:28 AM »
David...I'm a bit confused by "I can't see why ashSimpl.exe at the end of a scan..."  Could you perhaps clarify that for me ?  Thanks.  wumply

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:00:52 AM »
avast! doesn't make any screenshots - so it's just a false alarm from the anti-keylogger.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:28:21 PM »
Quote from: wumply
The specific program my anti keylogger stopped from a screenshot was ashSimpl.exe.  For the record, I instructed the keylogger to allow ashSimple.exe screenshot attempts full time.

I can't see why, ashSimpl.exe at the end of a scan it displays a window listing files that couldn't be scanned, perhaps this is what your keylogger is confused with, I wouldn't call that a screen shot but a pop-up window..

As Igor said though it does appear to be a false alarm from your keylogger.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »
You may want to contact your anti-keylogger provider. What anti-keylogger are you using?