Author Topic: missing ashSimpl.exe file  (Read 4681 times)

ishi52

missing ashSimpl.exe file
« on: December 29, 2003, 11:04:40 AM »
Hey there, Can anyone give me a quick and simple answer on how to correct the following problem; I just downloaded avast!4 Home version and after the initial installation I downloaded the eicar virus test file to see how well it would work in detecting the "virus". When I attempted to scan the virus test file the antivirus program would not open giving me a n error message saying that it could not find the ashSimpl.exe file. Now, how can I fix this without having to uninstall and redownload the AV program? I know it's late where I am, but somebodie's got to be awake somewhere that might have an answer for me...Thanks, ishi52

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:missing ashSimpl.exe file
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 11:06:18 AM »
Try Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast antivirus -> Repair.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ishi52

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 01:28:14 PM »
Hi Vlk,
 I was just returning to clarify the error message before I caught any flack over it and see that you've already posted a reply. My, you're fast...I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but I will and will let you know what I find. The correct and complete error message is; "Splash cannot execute the following program "F:\AlwilSoftware\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe"
  This message occurs when I attempt to manually run a scan during the memory test portion of the program start up and then it shuts down. I mean that it just stops starting up, but still seems to be running in the background o.k. I didn't say that very well but I think you'll understand what I mean. I'll get back to you after a little further checking using your suggestion as a starting point. Thanks, ishi52        

O.K, I'm back already, I've just gotten a message from your progrm while attempting to do as you suggested that tells me that I've got a virus nd it's in one of your files that I just downloaded from your site. How do you explain this?
  The message goes as follows;
  "A Virus was found.......
 virus name: Win32:SpyBot-Z [Wrm]
 file name F:\ALWILS~1\Avast\DATA4\moved\A0022698.exe
 vps version  0311-6, 16.12.2003

At first when I tried to move it to the chest I got this message twice; "The DDE transaction failed"
 Then the last ime before returning here to post this I apparently was able to transfer it to the virus chest.
 At first I thought that it wouldn't transfer because it was one of your program's files and, therefore, unable to work against itself by removing a portion of it's own programming.  Now what do I do with it? I still haven't even been able to deal with the first issue yet. BTW my OS is Windows XP Pro and I have  my own two unit network. I'm running Windows 98 on my other system and have disconnected it as a precaution. Hopefully not too late. Please advise. Thanks, ishi52
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 02:03:01 PM by ishi52 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 02:51:17 PM »
Did you have any other av installed in your computer?
Did you installed, even in the past, another av?

Why don't you use the avast Virus Cleaner to 'clean' your system. Of course, it could be a false alarm of infected file. Anyway, you can delete/move the Malware and clean the references to that file in the registry. You should also find out how did you get infected. There are many variants of that Malware, but it could be one of these:
http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/vgrep.cgi?terms=spybot&product=1

Some of the Spybots infect their victims by scanning the Network/Internet, some of them "get dropped"(?) by other Software. One thing you can do is to delete the file in windows safe mode and close all your open shares. Then you have to check the files which will be loaded on Startup or try one on-line scanner.
The best things in life are free.

ishi52

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 10:56:06 PM »
Technical, Hello and thanks for the guidance. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the cyber realm, but for all intents and purposes here you might as well consider me one. I've only been on the net for a little over a year and everything I've learned is by trial and error and the school of hard knocks....so my education continues....
   Prior to adding a second pc and OS to my system I had avast!4  running on my old pc. AS I stated it is running Windows 98. I had unistalled avast! due to the fact that 98 is now my client and XP my server and had relied solely on XP's firewall until very recently when I had reinstalled Zone Alarm and reinstalled avast! due to concerns about under protection.
 After my last post here I found that the infected file had not been moved to the virus chest yet as I'd believed and would not be moved by simply clicking "move to virus hest." Avast! then indentified the file as "F:\ALWILS~1\Avast4\DATA\moved\explore.exe. I forced moved it using your systems options at the next star up and shut  my system down.
 I might add that "F:" is my secondary hard drive in my XP system for added storage and memory purposes. I also may have acquired the infection (if it is one, in fact) through my old system (98) while online unprotected or any off a number of possible ways.
 I had also attempted to repair the file by using Avast! prior to moving it. (unsuccessfully)
 I shall attemt to use your suggetions to determine more about this scenario. (and by necessity continue my education at the same time) I will get back to you on what I'm able to determine, but don't be surprised if it takes me a while to figure things out and return with a reply.
 Thanks for your time and attention, I'll be back....ishi52

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 01:04:13 AM »
Technical, Hello and thanks for the guidance. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the cyber realm, but for all intents and purposes here you might as well consider me one.

Sorry, it was not my intention  :'(
Maybe other forum users could help you better. Sorry for the inconvenience.  :-\

I'm canceling the 'notification' (and further tentative of help) for this thread.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 01:11:43 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

sowen

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 08:12:58 PM »
Technical, you misunderstood him. He wasn't commenting on your help in that quote, just saying that while he has some 'cyber knowledge', his knowledge of Avast and virus-scanners is not that great.

In fact, he thanked you for your time and help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 08:13:30 PM by sowen »