Author Topic: ashwebsv.exe being scanned?  (Read 2863 times)

Nnyan

ashwebsv.exe being scanned?
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:55:29 PM »
Hello,

Downloading a large file via torrent (uTorrent) and my PC started locking up at random intervals for 5-20 secs.  Looking at the CPU use it would often just lock up and not update so it locked with like 98% system idle, so it took me awhile to see that it was Avast ashwebsv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe that were locking up

justin1278

Re: ashwebsv.exe being scanned?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:00:03 PM »
Hi,

I highly doubt that it was both of these providers if you were just downloading and not doing anything else. What P2P app do you use, it may have been the P2P shield in avast! but that is just a guess.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:19:25 PM »
Downloading a large file via torrent (uTorrent) and my PC started locking up at random intervals for 5-20 secs.  Looking at the CPU use it would often just lock up and not update so it locked with like 98% system idle, so it took me awhile to see that it was Avast ashwebsv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe that were locking up
uTorrent uses the port 32459 by default and it shouldn't be monitored by ashwebsv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe (by default either).
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:24:47 PM »
oops didn't see the (utorrent) part. Sorry about that. Like Tech said it shouldn't be monitored by Standard or Web shield. Also I believe UTorrent is not supported by the P2P shield in avast! so then it may not be avast! that is causing this.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:27:57 PM »
This is most likely being caused by utorrent connecting to the peer system on one of the mail ports (25, 110, 143) or nntp ports 119 that the Internet Mail provider does intercept.

See this post:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20389.msg170891#msg170891

By the way avast team - why can't you just fix this by adding utorrent.exe to the list of exclusions for the Internet mail provider?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:30:12 PM by alanrf »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
By the way avast team - why can't you just fix this by adding utorrent.exe to the list of exclusions for the Internet mail provider?

Done (will be included in the next VPS update).

Thx
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.