Author Topic: VRDB  (Read 5754 times)

Sarge

VRDB
« on: December 29, 2003, 11:13:35 AM »
Ok, How long should it take for the VRDB to be "completed"? I mean, I left it runing for two days straight doing nothing else (not even connected to the internet, I unplugged it) so I could devote all system proceses to just AVAST's VRDB and the bare-bones system proceses (taskmgr.exe, and so on).
It's still not done. How do I calculate how long this should take?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:VRDB
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 02:32:53 PM »
When no RunInterval value is in the avast4.ini file, the default (3 weeks) is used. I'm afraid I don't know how long the VRBD generation can take... of course, it depends on how much files and programs you have on your disks... I think it shouldn't take very long (an hour?) - but I really don't know, I may be com-pletely wrong. As for shortening the interval of VRBD generation I suggest you read this forum. By default, VRBD is updated every 3 weeks; the interval can be changed by editting avast4.ini file, though. More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here.
The best things in life are free.

Dave50

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 02:57:08 PM »
Thank you, Technical.

With a clean install of XP (no updates) and just a couple of programs added, VRDB on my computer takes just about 10 minutes to do its thing.  With all the XP updates installed (and with the programs I add), it takes little over 30 minutes.

Sarge, I suspect it depends upon how many programs you've got on your hard drive -- the more, the longer.
Perhaps your operating system processing speed has something to do with it?  Avast! Team should be able to provide you with a better answer.

Dave

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 03:00:18 PM »
Sarge, what is the current size of the file <avast>\data\integ\avast.int? And what is its current timedate?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Sarge

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 12:28:34 AM »
My avast.int is 6.47 MB (6,785,784 bytes) long.
I'm running WinXP Pro sp1.
Avast4 Home (latest version)
Two hard drives, total used space 62 GB.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:29:33 AM by Sarge »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 01:40:56 AM »
62GB!!!??! what are you putting on those drives  :o
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Sarge

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 07:18:06 AM »
62GB!!!??! what are you putting on those drives  :o
Movies.