Author Topic: windows firewall  (Read 7681 times)

drhayden1

windows firewall
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:53:43 AM »
i know this topic has nothing to do with a avast problem but being on this forum for a while and everyone being helpful and all.... have a question..........i have a linksys router.....being wireless.....with wep and spi firewall security on from the router.........should i have my windows firewall on or off...........have always had it off..............being what linksys and  some people say............i've have never had a problem......would they conflict with each other if windows firewall was on...........what's the best way to go on this laptop of mine................any help would be appreciated................have a good one avast! world........and thanks spiritsongs :D ;) 8)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:56:40 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:22:42 AM »
I have been running an older linksys router on our home system for some years.  I just upgraded the router to one of the newer linksys offerings and I just got a new system. 

I have been following the long held advice that one must have a two way firewall in addition to the router and using ZoneAlarm free version. I have a well established recovery strategy employing Goback as the first layer and Acronis TrueImage as the second layer. 

Since the new system (Win XP Pro SP2) came with the Windows Firewall on by default I have decided to forgo ZA for a while and see what happens.  To borrow a term from DavidR ... I practice 'safe hex' not opening email from those unknown to me and not visiting any 'exciting' websites.    While, for testing purposes, I would be content to rely on the linksys router firewall for short periods without any software firewall (given the recovery strategy mentioned above) I would feel uncomfortable to rely on it alone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 11:30:04 AM by alanrf »

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »
thanks alanrf...........i guess i'll turn the windows firewall on............i thought it would be like having 2 a/v programs on your computer at the same time conflicting with each other........ :-* 8) :D what type of new system did you get if i can ask.....you see mine on the profile.....that's why i'm concerned.......like a child with a new toy

Super Trooper

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
Windows firewall is only a very basic firewall checking one way.

As alanrf says it is generally accepted best practice to have a two way software firewall running on your OS in addition to the router hardware firewall. This combined with Avast antivirus is a pretty secure combination for any computer.

Best free firewalls I have used lately are Zonealarm

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_za

and Kerio

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

I really wouldn't rely on Windows own firewall for too long.

drhayden1

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
thanks super trooper........i guess i will use windows firewall on with the wep and spi firewall already running........linksys advised me when i talked to them recently not to use zone alarm.....a conflict somewhat i can't remember using with linksys router.......will this setup above be o.k. :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 03:32:33 PM »
The wimdows firewall is better than none, but outbound protection is essential. Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 03:53:18 PM »
so davidr.......if i leave the windows on with the router wep and spi firewall will that be ok......they won't have any conflict or connections problems with each other??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 04:04:42 PM »
No, as has been said the windows firewall is only half a firewall and your router spi firewall would probably provide the same level of protection. The windows firewall is like a fire door that provides protection from one side only and shouldn't in my mind ever have been called a firewall as it gives a false sense of security. It provides good inbound stealthing but no outbound protection and the spi (spateful packet inspection) of your router I believe is better.

You need outbound protection that windows and your router firewall don't provide.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »
i just installed GesWall from gentlesecurity.com.......which is a outbound only firewall.....let me know if or you know anything about it........leave this and my router security on and windows off and see :o
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 04:39:36 PM by drhayden1 »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
 :)  Hi "Doc" :

Never heard of "GesWall" or "gentlesecurity.com" until
     your post. Did a Google search, which revealed :
     http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=53cfcecd658bd8d4169040d35031943d&t=131931 .
     Did you read through at least some of this thread before
     installing this product ? Appears GesWall/gentlesecurity
     is very new, maybe even a "Beta" product, which I avoid.
     If you are interested in a proven firewall, consider Sygate
     best downloaded from www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/ . There's a "Setup Guide" at www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .

This topic should have been posted in the "General" forum .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:15:00 AM by Spiritsongs »

drhayden1

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »
thanks for the help spiritsongs and everyone......i just downloaded comodo personal firewall(comodo.com) and it is working great.........along with the wep and spi firewall in my wireless router......i now have the outgoing protection i thought i had with my previous set-up but did'nt 8) ;D and windows security center recognizes comodo as a firewall after turning windows firewall off..... ::) :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:16:57 AM by drhayden1 »

drhayden1

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 11:47:18 PM »
and i took off that GesWall......it was a beta........have a good one avast world!

richfaun

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 04:28:37 PM »
Hoping I might get a response.

I have set up a Linksy Wireless-B, 802.11B, 2.4Ghz Broadband Wireless Router with a Comcast furnished modem (Model: RCA - digital Broadband).  I ma using two separate computers... a laptop with XP Professional ( Ver. 5.1 - Service Pack 2) and a Mac PowerBook G4.

I installed Avast and have been using it for about 4 months.  No problems.  I have from time to time been traveling and have used a random free wireless connection with NO problem.

Recently moved to a new home and am using comcast for the first time.  Since that time, I have not been able to "send" email with "attachments" via Outlook Express, or my Gmail.com account, UNLESS I turn off Avast via right click on icon and "stop online protection."

After reading a few posts on the general subject, I decided to turn OFF my Windows Firewall, and WOW! attachments and such have passed through with no problem.  But I don't feel comfortable about turning off the Windows Firewall.

What I am trying to comprehend is why after "using so many" (my daughter's Comcast IP service as well) other unknown Ip connections via the unrestricted wireless connections with NO problems, I would encounter those described above with this new service.

Example:  If I choose to connect via an unrestricted wireless connection ( a neighbor ??) NO problem.

Please forgive the length of this post.. I simply wanted to offer as much info as possible.

With a basket of good wishes to all, for a great day,

Richard

It see

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 07:34:40 PM »
What I am trying to comprehend is why after "using so many" (my daughter's Comcast IP service as well) other unknown Ip connections via the unrestricted wireless connections with NO problems, I would encounter those described above with this new service.
Isn't it a problem with 'sharing' files in the network?
How Windows firewall is configurated? Are you blocking (uncheck) the option to share files? If you check that option (disabling the firewall block), will the email leave?
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 09:43:26 PM »
I just wonder  ::)

Having an outbound protecting firewall is nice in theory.
All the IDS and hips etc.
I met a "hacker" today in yahoo messenger. He admitted that he had tried to hack me.
I saw it all in my kerio 2.1.5 logs i kept. It was inbound protection that kept me safe  ... I hope. That sleazebag from shri lanka admitted to me later that he was trying to hack me "out of curiosity". It was all about my inbound protection. Or protection you need against worms and all bad internet stuff.

But the game is really lost once you download bad malware to your computer. It is lost, period. It is then reformat time, nothing to believe you are still safe.

So inbound protection is most important.

I agree outbound protection is a bonus, but a VERY minor one !
David R, have you ever found much from the outbound protection you have with your firewall ? Or is it really over adverticed feature?

Some baddies instead only finding some programs like media player realplayer, your IM's run secret their updaters that you can stop doing so with outbound protection.

Any real baddies?