Author Topic: Windows 64bit questions  (Read 3781 times)

suemccartin

Windows 64bit questions
« on: May 30, 2006, 01:34:09 AM »
Just a question about avast 4 home under windows xp 64bit, where's my cute little rotating ball in the task tray?  I tried turning that on in the options menu but it's still not there, I find it reassuring that it's running.  If it's not there is avast not running actively?  Just being paranoid but I'd rather ask than get a surprise.  Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 64bit questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 03:07:46 AM »
If you run the ashdisp.exe application that is on avast folder, will the icon appear?
Is there any ashdisp.exe process running (ctrl+alt+del)?
I suppose the icon is not `hidden` with other ones on system tray (Windows feature of hidden icons...).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »
If it isn't there it only indicated that the avast icon and the on-access scanners interface isn't running, this in itself shouldn't effect the other processes/providers.

You would need to check task manager to see what other avast processes are running, they begin with ash or asw, the ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine, aswUpdSv.exe (update process), ashWebSv.exe (Web Shield) and ashMaiSv.exe (Internet Mail scanner, depending on email client) are the main ones likely to be there other than ashDisp.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

suemccartin

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »
Running is:
ashSimple.exe*32
ashDisp.exe*32
ashWebsv.exe *32
ashMaiSv.exe*32
ashServ.exe*32
aswUpdSv.exe*32

Yes, if I manually run ashdisp.exe the little blue balls appear.

Soooo....does that program belong in the start menu or is it loaded via the registry?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:29:05 PM »
Soooo....does that program belong in the start menu or is it loaded via the registry?
Registry...
Add the path to ashDisp.exe into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

Some application has blocked the correct avast installation... any startup monitor...
The best things in life are free.

suemccartin

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:20 AM »
sorry I'm a newb to registry stuff and it would help me if you could type the text exactly so I can just paste it into the registry.  I have adaware se running and it protects against registry changes, could that be the culprit?  As far as I know the adaware went on after the avast however.  I also can't get the nvidea drivers for my 6600 card to load with the nvidea utilities, I'm running on the windows driver.  I know adaware se protects against registry changes............  Adaware also doesn't seem to be autoupdating, I wonder if something has disabled updates for the two programs, I did find a virus on the c drive that avast wasn't finding via another computer. 

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 01:37:46 PM »
Did you try to repair the avast installation?

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! Antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Repair

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

suemccartin

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »
yeah repair doesn't work.   A lot of installations have been quirky or a PITA under 64bit, things that install things in the task tray often don't so I don't think it's your fault I think it's some kind of MS problem.  Logitech just finally straightened out their driver for their MX1000 mouse it wasn't loading setpoint but the new one they just put up works fine.

londonbabs

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 04:01:23 PM »
I have exactly the same problem since I installed tinamium xp pro sp2, I always had the blue spinning icon on other OS, here nothing, I tried ashdisp.exe, nothing appears, the processes are running nonetheless...
Personaly, wether or not the icon's there isn't that relevant, although I do find myself more confortable with it, my main concern is if it's working properly or not, as my processes are running, I guess all is fine, but how can I be sure, I tried repair option, reinstall, other versions too, nothing to it, I'd like to try the registry trick, but also being a newby, it'd be real nice if anyone could explain what tech means by "(as the value named avast!)."
I don't wanna fiddle around the registry not being too sure of what am doing, this kinda caused me to change OS in the first place...
Any help appreciated thanxalot...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 04:04:50 PM by londonbabs »