Author Topic: Problem installing Avast on new PC build  (Read 8051 times)

SWINGER

Problem installing Avast on new PC build
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:25:21 AM »
I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, and Nvidia Firewall.  After saving the program to my desktop and trying to run the file I keep getting the following error:  An error 1006 (000003EE) has occurred. Last performed operation was: opening the self-extract archive      Try to download setup file again. If you use IE, clear it's cache before downloading: Start -> Control Panel-> Internet Options and Delete Temporary Internet Files.

I have tried clearing the cache, but I keep getting the same results.

When trying to run the program I get IE-Security Warning   Windows has found a problem with this file.  Name:  setupeng.exe  Publisher:  Unknown Publisher  This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher.

I assume that the blocking of this file is the root of my problem?  Is there any easy way to bypass this?  I browsed the forum looking for a similar post was unable to find any.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem installing Avast on new PC build
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:53:15 AM »
This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher.
From where are you trying to download?
Did you try to download the file again and using this second file? Are you donwloading/installing only the English version?

I know a way to force the installation... but if the setup is corrupt, I won't even suggest it here...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

SWINGER

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:53:16 AM »
I was trying to download the English version from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html I have tried to download it from two other sites with no luck.

Did you try to download the file again and using this second file?  I am sorry I do not understand this question.  So I would assume the answer is no.  Should I try this and if so how would i go about this.

SWINGER

SWINGER

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:57:36 AM »
Tech,

Did you mean have I tried to download the file more than once and try to install/run more than once?  If so yes I have probably downloaded and tried to install the program a total of around 15 times from at least 3 different sites with the same results.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:35:41 PM »
Did you mean have I tried to download the file more than once and try to install/run more than once?
If so yes I have probably downloaded and tried to install the program a total of around 15 times from at least 3 different sites with the same results.
Yes... that is what I mean...
I hope someone from Alwil could post the MD5 signature of the setup file. Better, why don't you (Alwil) post the MD5 in the download page?  ;)
Swinger, maybe some infection is preventing you to run and install avast, maybe another antivirus already installed in your computer, or other security program...  ???
The best things in life are free.

SWINGER

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »
"Swinger, maybe some infection is preventing you to run and install avast, maybe another antivirus already installed in your computer, or other security program..." 

It is a brand new PC that I built myself, there is virtually no other software on the PC besides Windows XP Pro SP2.

Is there another antivirus program that I should try instead?  I really wanted to try Avast on this PC.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:49:43 PM »
Windows error 1006 is "The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. "

Although not a very clear (certainly to me) error message, it would appear it may have been corrupted either during download or during extraction.

What version of IE are you using ?
Are you using a download manager ?
If so try without it.

A google search for 000003EE would appear to indicate 'File image is corrupt' which supports the windows error 1006.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SWINGER

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:41:26 PM »
"What version of IE are you using ?"
Can't tell you exactly until I get home to look it up.  It was an OEM version of Win XP Pro SP2 purchased from new egg in the last two weeks.
"Are you using a download manager ?"
No.

DukeNukem

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:22:40 PM »
The Nvidia firewall is known to corrupt downloads for some people.

Uninstall the nvidia firewall completely, add / remove > network access manager

then download avast again and see if it works.

Remember to delete the old version on your desktop before downloading, or download to a different location.

SWINGER

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 02:51:45 PM »
Thanks for everyones help.  I finally was able to install Avast on my new PC.  I downloaded the program to a work computer and copied it to a CD, from there I was able to install from a CD without any problems.

"The Nvidia firewall is known to corrupt downloads for some people."

Should I use the windows firewall instead or is their a better free firewall I should consider?  My computer is behind a Linksys router.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »
None of your current options provide outbound protection, nvidia, your router or windows XP, so you need a firewall to protect against unauthorised outbound connections.

Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Comodo, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php.
Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security