Author Topic: Big red error box on auto-update  (Read 10781 times)

blr

Re: Big red error box on auto-update
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 12:58:08 PM »
I have the same problem here, but I don't consider rolling back Windows updates as a viable option. If a Windows update is causing this, chances are all of your users are going to have the problem sooner or later. When do you plan on having an update on your side that solves the problem?

jimn

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
Hi vlk,

Well if rights were changed, I didn't do it. I don't know how. And I never fiddle with system files/directories.

It's working now and I'm happy again < s >

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:44 PM »
I have the same problem here, but I don't consider rolling back Windows updates as a viable option.
Last Windows updates should not change the access rights to drivers folders... anyway, rolling back by Windows System Restore won't solve anything as usual, it's a joke feature of Microsoft: when you need it does not work  :P

When do you plan on having an update on your side that solves the problem?
Strange... what Alwil can do?  ???
Everything seems to be working in my installations and a lot of others. Are you sure the problem isn't on the firewall? Or the automatic upated at boot (logon) time ONLY?
The best things in life are free.

jimn

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 01:44:39 PM »
I don't think there's anything AlWil can do, other than be aware of this situation.

Windows Update has always been a very serious concern for me because it doesn't ask BEFORE doing something... at least not enough information/options.

I feel quite sure that the Avast! problem was directly related to the Windows update but of course no way to prove it.

AlWil already did a great help by having this forum.

I hope I have another almost 2 years of trouble-free use of Avast!.
cheers

blr

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »
I have the same problem here, but I don't consider rolling back Windows updates as a viable option.
Last Windows updates should not change the access rights to drivers folders... anyway, rolling back by Windows System Restore won't solve anything as usual, it's a joke feature of Microsoft: when you need it does not work  :P

When do you plan on having an update on your side that solves the problem?
Strange... what Alwil can do?  ???
Everything seems to be working in my installations and a lot of others. Are you sure the problem isn't on the firewall? Or the automatic upated at boot (logon) time ONLY?
System Restore has always worked for me and it seems like it worked for other users in solving this issue so I don't really see how this anti-MS rant helps... This being said, thanks a lot for your great reactivity.
Nothing changed on the firewall and the problem is both on auto-update on boot and on manual updates. I have the exact same symptoms as the other user.
If there is anything I can provide to help (logs, anything), just tell me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »
System Restore has always worked for me and it seems like it worked for other users in solving this issue so I don't really see how this anti-MS rant helps...
I'm not anti-MS... I'm anti System Restore promisses that are not fulfilled. My experience, and a lot of others, is what I've posted before.

Nothing changed on the firewall and the problem is both on auto-update on boot and on manual updates.
Can't you manual update?
Can you delete the avast.setup entry from your firewall settings and start a manual update again, answering yes to the connection, etc.

If there is anything I can provide to help (logs, anything), just tell me.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log
The last lines of it  8)
The best things in life are free.

blr

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »
Manual update doesn't work either (same symptoms). Can't uninstall (nothing happens when I click uninstall/repair from the uninstall control panel). The firewall settings don't contain anything related to Avast setup (it's the default XP firewall). I tried adding Avast to the list of exceptions but that didn't help.

Here's the end of my setup log:

14:37:32 min/gen  Started: 30.05.2006, 14:37:32
14:37:32 min/gen  Running setup_av_pro-33b (827)
14:37:32 nrm/sys  Operating system: WindowsXP ver 5.1, build 2600, sp 2.0 [Service Pack 2]
14:37:32 vrb/sys  Computer WinName: X
14:37:32 min/sys  Windows Net User: X\Propriétaire
14:37:32 min/gen  Cmdline: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /silent /progress 
14:37:32 vrb/gen  DldSrc set to inet
14:37:32 vrb/gen  Operation set to INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES
14:37:32 min/gen  Old version: 33b (827)
14:37:32 nrm/gen  SGW32P::CheckIfInstalled set m_bAlreadyInstalled to 1
14:37:32 vrb/sys  Computer DnsName: x
14:37:32 vrb/sys  Computer Ip Addr: 192.168.0.166
14:37:32 nrm/int  SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
14:37:32 nrm/int  SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
14:37:32 vrb/pkg  Part prg_av_pro-33b is installed
14:37:32 vrb/pkg  Part vps-62104 is installed
14:37:32 vrb/pkg  Part news-4a is installed
14:37:32 vrb/pkg  Part setup_av_pro-33b is installed
14:37:32 min/gen  Old version: 33b (827)
14:37:32 vrb/fil  SetExistingFilesBitmap: 814->138->138
14:37:32 min/gen  GUID: 28b3cfc3-99a7-4f5e-8c8f-26fed88efd51
14:37:32 min/gen  Server definition file for 'main' (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def) is invalid.
14:37:32 nrm/pkg  Transferred files: 0
14:37:32 nrm/pkg  Transferred bytes: 0
14:37:32 nrm/pkg  Transfer time: 0 ms
14:37:32 vrb/fil  NeedReboot=false
14:37:32 min/gen  Return code: 0x2000000C [Can't select any server for downloading (from 0).]
14:37:32 min/gen  Stopped: 30.05.2006, 14:37:32

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »
blr, try downloading this file

http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def.vpu

and puting it to the <avast>\setup folder.

The retry the update.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

blr

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »
blr, try downloading this file

http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def.vpu

and puting it to the <avast>\setup folder.

The retry the update.

Thanks
Vlk
No luck with that. I also have servers.def and servers.def.lkg. Do I need to do anything with those?
Do I need to restart anything? By the way, how do you restart Avast?

UPDATE: I also downloaded servers.def from the same location and deleted the .def.lkg. That solved it.

Any idea about what could have caused the original file to go bad? I can send you the bad file if you want. It's only spaces that match the genuine file size. Could it be malware trying to disable Avast?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:05:37 PM by blr »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »
Any idea about what could have caused the original file to go bad? I can send you the bad file if you want. It's only spaces that match the genuine file size. Could it be malware trying to disable Avast?

Hardly... more likely, there was a data integrity error while downloading the file. The probability is quite low - but it can happen.

The updater is immune to situations when this happens for any of the packages it downloads - except for this tiny one.

Glad that the problem is solved.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

blr

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
Yes, thanks for the help.