Author Topic: avast detects prefetched trojan...  (Read 20401 times)

Neron

Re: avast detects prefetched trojan...
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 07:27:18 PM »
Hey i did the same and recieved the e-mail just 2 minutes ago.The same message-this file is clean.An I think it's really clean.It's just report.Maybe something in it makes avast trigger the alarm but this is not a dangerous object

Omar

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 11:09:38 AM »
Well, I'm glad that the trojan has been identified. Now back to the original point of the thread.

If you have the Fasterfox extension installed on Firefox, and you have enabled the enhanced prefetching option, be cautious.

Fasterfox can, and did prefetch this trojan from the search results on Google, and I assume any of the other search engines. If avast! had not caught it, I would have been infected.

Following DavidR's lead (though his was for a different reason), I have disabled the enhanced prefetching. Firefox seems to run pretty much the same as with it on (with NoScript and Adblock Plus still installed), which seems to be much faster than Firefox alone.

As they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Though avast! caught it this time, no program has a 100% success rate, so thinking ahead might be a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 12:34:40 PM by OrangeCrate »

Omar

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 11:53:13 AM »
how exacyly do you disable enhanced prefetching?

in realtion to that trojan, antivir e0mailed and now say:

We found a new virus in the attachment you have sent us.

The signature will be integrated in one of our next updates.

The signature of the virus will be detected as HTML.Dldr.180Solutions.

We thank you for your assistance.

Attachment(s) you sent:
robots.zip

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
If you are using the Fasterfox extension for Firefox, open the extensions page under tools on Firefox. Highlight Fasterfox, and then click on the options button.

That will open the Fasterfox options page. Click on the second tab "Fasterfox", and if the "Enable Enhanced Prefetching" option is checked, uncheck it.

Edit:

If anyone decides to leave the prefetching option turned on, please do your web friends a favor, and change the preset from "Turbo Charged" to "Optimized". The "Turbo Charged" prefetching hammers the **** out of sites with small monthly bandwidth usage limits.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 02:12:36 PM by OrangeCrate »