Author Topic: Avast not showing in Security center  (Read 14038 times)

Barr_y

Avast not showing in Security center
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:33 PM »
Since some of the last updates my Avast is not monitored anymore in the Security center. The other day seeing Techs advise about switching off Security center, then switching it back on worked fine. Now since the last couple of updates it has gone back to I have to monitor it myself.

I see others have been having the same problem. Will it be sorted in a new update? I would feel better knowing Windows recognised it like it used to. 

Barr_y

Re: Avast not showing in Security center
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »
I have just tried uninstalling and downloading Avast Home, and reinstalling without any change in the security center. The only thing now, I get the Simple User Interface popping up, when I try to close it I get an error message.
"An error has occurred in the script on this page"

"Do you want to continue running scripts on this page Yes or NO"

Quite honestly I haven't a clue what I should press Yes or No. Any clue what is going wrong with Avast since last update to 4.7 please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
Barr, maybe you should enter in your Internet Explorer settings (Control Panel > Internet Options) and go to the Security tab.
Than choose Internet Zone and let it into the DEFAULT settings and not customized one.
This should solve the script problem, I hope.

Is your system date and time correct?
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
Hi Tech

My Internet Zone is in default settings. The thing with the "Simple User Interface" it appears eveytime I open Avast now,  even after ticking the box for it not to. Then I still get the same warning. For the time being I have uninstalled Avast and am using Antivir until Avast sorts itself out.

I have had Avast for a long time now and love it but at the moment I am not happy with the different changes that have been made. I have run a full scan with Antivir, Spyware Doctor, AdAware, with no problems showing.

The problems seems to stem from the latest version 4.7 of Avast. This has never happened before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:40:16 PM »
The thing with the "Simple User Interface" it appears eveytime I open Avast now,  even after ticking the box for it not to.
Do you mean the Introdutory help?
You must change the item ShowHelpCheckList=1 in the [Simple] section of the avast4.ini file.
See details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10262#msg10262

Barr_y

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 12:49:54 AM »
I will try that.

One other thing about the simple user interface,  it seems to have some sort of picture at the bottom of it that only shows as a red cross on my computer. Before you just ticked the box to not show it again, I have never changed the avast4.ini file before, other wise what is the point of the check box?

Now I know most people say make sure you have cleaned your cache plus Internet files along with offline files.  I always do that, so it isn't that.  I also made sure I have the latest Macromedia Flash player 8, just in case it was that.

I still think it is something to do with 4.7 of Avast, because I have never had a problem with it before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:01:51 AM »
One other thing about the simple user interface,  it seems to have some sort of picture at the bottom of it that only shows as a red cross on my computer.
Can't you post a screenshot of it?

Barr_y

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:46:57 AM »
Have just tried posting a screen shot, by opening Additional Options selected the file on my computer and nothing happened. When I select the photo on my computer and select Preview, it tells me I "you will have to reattach any attachments continue with preview"  So could you tell me how to do this on this forum please. Whoops it did do it sorry.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:53:45 AM »
See here.

Barr_y

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »
OK so I read that and it didn't seem to prove anything.

"Quote"
"Well I have that hot fix and it does not solve the problem"
"Quote"
"Hey, Igor, your guess was wrong...
What´s happening? "

The answer at the end was that he installed the so called fix and it didn't cure his problem. Anyway I never had the problem in February, it is only very recently it has happened.

Barr_y

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »
I am a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an answer to my problem, even after uploading a photo of the fault I seem to have.

My computer is running great at the moment but sadly without Avast Antivirus.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
While Barr_y may be a little too upset to read much further another solution was posted only a few hours ago.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21398.0

Barr_y

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
Hi alanrf I am not upset and am still looking for a solution. I have read the link you gave me, but think the whole point has been missed.

Here is a quote from vlk
"Of course, checking the box is the recommended way to do this (no need to manually change the avast4.ini file)"

and should be the only one you need to make, putting a tick in the box for it not to show anymore, right?  not having to alter the avast4.ini file as suggested.

What is wrong with Avast that all of a sudden people are getting all these problems since the update to 4.7.

I have never had any problems with Avast in the years that I have had it to this extent. At the moment I am not having any such problems with my second choice Antivirus program I installed. Perhaps Avast can sort out some of its problems of late, with an update that will fix these instabilities, I hope.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:44 PM »
I'm sorry, Barr, but you're the only one having the problem right now. I think it must be some Microsoft update you installed lately (that broke the CHM handling).

Barr_y

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:13 PM »
Hi igor

I don't think I am the only one having the problem. You only have to look at the link alanrf posted here to see that. Read Nicola S's last posting in there and you will see.

I am looking for answers all the time and keep my eye on other postings with similar problems and it seems there are more than you realize.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:58:31 AM by Barr_y »