Author Topic: Avast not auto updating?  (Read 2767 times)

dscomp

Avast not auto updating?
« on: May 30, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
Ive had this problem for a few weeks though I have been using Avast for 18 mths or so with no problems.

Ive tried repair but am still stuck with this issue.

Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast not auto updating?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 01:40:14 PM »
When? At all the times of just after logon?
Which is the error message?
Are you using the last avast version?
Which firewall do you use? And your operational system is...?
The best things in life are free.

dscomp

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:55:46 AM »
When? At all the times of just after logon? It never updates. It used to auto update as soon as I started the PC & connected to the net. Now I have to manually update it.

Which is the error message? No error msgs.

Are you using the last avast version? Yes. have done a complete uninstall & reinstalled the latest version.

Which firewall do you use? Comodo. Im wondering if this is the problem actually. Cant see any attempts to connect to the net by avast blocked though?

And your operational system is...? Win XP pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:10:24 AM »
It never updates. It used to auto update as soon as I started the PC & connected to the net. Now I have to manually update it.

Which are your Update (Basic) settings?
Do you use a proxy application (annonimizer)? Can you set your avast to use NO proxy at all if you don't use one.
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Which is the error message? No error msgs.
Nothing? And what about the Log viewer and the setup.log file into the <avast>\data\setup folder?

Which firewall do you use? Comodo. Im wondering if this is the problem actually. Cant see any attempts to connect to the net by avast blocked though?
Most probably this IS the problem...
avast.setup must ask or be allowed to connect the Internet and donwload the update.
The best things in life are free.

Fliss

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
My computer has stopped auto updating sionce Friday - a red warning comes up that it could not find a server to connect to: "can't select any server for downloading from"
I have Home Ed 4.7 and it's all been fine for months & months, no settings have been changed on my computer at all during this time.
The firewall is set to accept avast downloads etc etc

Any advice welcome, thank you!

Fliss

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 03:51:34 PM »
ok sorry I've just seen another thread about this...I'll try unistall/reinstall....