Author Topic: Synchronization of passwords  (Read 2388 times)

REDACTED

Synchronization of passwords
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Hello,

I was synchronizing passwords from Avast Passwords from one notebook to another one. I was surprised, that I had to confirm synchronization on the older system.

What if I lose my PC or mobile phone and my passwords won´t be synced to another device? Will I lose all saved passwords? I thought that they are stored in the cloud and they will sync from there when I will log-in to my Avast account. But I guess I was wrong.

Thank you for any clarification.

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
Re: Synchronization of passwords
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
Well, unless you turn on synchronization you data are stored only locally, which means that if you loose that device you have also lost your passwords.

When you turn on synchronization the data are sent to the cloud encrypted so you can can recover them. To recover them from the cloud, you need to have authorized device or you have to use backup link from the email we have sent you when you have turned synchronization on first device.

The process of device authorization makes sure that no one else even in case he knows your avast account credentials can connect to your synchronization group.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
Oh, cool, I found that email in my inbox. Didnt remember it.

So in case of loosing device, I can just click on the link, it will open the Avast app and restore the passwords?

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »
Yes, but note that you need to remember master password you have set on device you have turned it on for the first time (when the email was generated) as you will be asked for it anytime you want to use backup link for self-authorization.