Author Topic: Avast with SpamSubtract?  (Read 4155 times)

tweakermonkey

Avast with SpamSubtract?
« on: December 29, 2003, 07:39:49 PM »
Does anyone use avast anti-virus with SpamSubtract by Intermute? There is a port conflict, I tried reading the help file, but it is too cryptic.

sowen

Re:Avast with SpamSubtract?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 08:23:42 PM »
I just set it up to work with SpamAssassin and my mail-server, which also has the usual ports (POP, IMAP and SMTP) in use. (It works great.)

Click here for complete details on the settings in the .ini file you'll need to change. You can change it so Avast's services listen on different ports and/or retreives its mail on different ports. (The explanation for the Mailscan-settings are about halfway down the page.)

You'll have to decide whether or not you want Avast to scan first, then SpamSubtract, or the other way around, then change each program's settings accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 08:40:16 PM by sowen »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 08:26:11 PM »
 that link is bad sowen. it takes my browser to http://here/
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

sowen

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 08:41:01 PM »

oops, sorry about that. i've corrected it (i hope). try again

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:07:00 PM »
it works like a charm now  8)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 01:36:03 AM »
Sowen, thank's to link for my small contribution to avast4.ini file research  ;)

tweakermonkey, probably you will have to add more configurations to your POP3/SMTP settings into your email client.
For instance, here you have the long history of Walker trying to configure Pegasus Mail. I tried to post there the configuration for Spamihilator. If you need help, let me know. Anyway, I do not use SpamSubtract... If you need help into SpamPal, ask for Culpeper's help (he is another forum user with a lot of experience).  ;)
The best things in life are free.