Author Topic: Antivirus differences  (Read 10794 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Antivirus differences
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »
I really cannot believe in these words... I'm surprised, very surprised...
You've grow up, have a lot of customers, a very large users database... The program needs improvements (as all others)... what's wrong? Can't you hire more people and make it better?
Or this was just a sad day for you Vlk... your words surprise me in a sad way... 

No, that's not what I meant... :)

I was just saying that around 1997, avast was probably #1 AV in the world, which is not the case now... Partly because avast went down with versions 2 and 3, and partly because other products got better!

But, it's always nice to have some solid foundation. To know that if we could do it once, we can do it again.

I don't think it's POSSIBLE to get say above 85% (which is I think IBK's requirement to appear in the regular tests) anytime sooner than in say 2 years...

Are you giving up?   

I was talking about COMODO, of course... avast is well-above 85%... ;) ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
I was just saying that around 1997, avast was probably #1 AV in the world, which is not the case now...
My stupid question... what more can we do to achieve that?  ;D
Better detection, virus submission, antispyware and trojan detection... rootkits?

Partly because avast went down with versions 2 and 3
Version 4 was, for sure, a deep improvement.

and partly because other products got better!
So, our turn  8)
More than 90% of Symantec people is not working on technical positions... but on merchandising, sells, etc.
You must know what you need to do to get better... for sure you're trying to do so (last year, for instance, we could 'follow' a good tentative...).

But, it's always nice to have some solid foundation. To know that if we could do it once, we can do it again.
:)

I was talking about COMODO, of course... avast is well-above 85%... ;) ;D
Sorry, I've misunderstood you at the first time. Now I realise you're talking about Comodo and not avast.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:05:38 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »
He was talking about Comodo in the second quote...

As for avast! going down... well maybe. But GUI is excellent (at least the On-Access panel). I also like warning messages and that red/yellow bar above taskbar on detections. These two things are designed the best among all AVs. However i can't deny it's engine is somehow showing the age.
Or at least update frequency if thats the matter. But you probably know the most what's going in wrong direction in company where you work...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 02:35:03 PM »
I have to wonder if you are really expecting an unbiased response in this forum or just trying to get a knee-jerk reaction from avast users.

<snip>

Your time might be better spent elsewhere.

Take a look again at your response to Mrcomputer and ask yourself how welcomed you would have felt if that were you.
Whether his question was innocent or intentionally "loaded," that's no way to treat people, including newcomers to this forum.
I consider this site very hospitable compared to others out there and I'd like it to stay that way.

You/I have to wonder what Mrcomputers intentions/reasons are for the post, when they registers at 03:10 and makes is first post at 03:12 (my local time today) so they didn't spend any time looking at the forums to see what information they could glean but jump in with what really shouldn't be discussed in the avast 4 Home/Pro forum, perhaps General perhaps not.

It is always going to be difficult to get an unbiased answer (or one that to an outsider might appear to be so) to this type of comparison question from a forum providing support for one of the products being compared. A general security based forum where there is a broad spectrum of different AV users would be better.

From time to time we do get drive by posters on the forums (as you will see over time) as happens in other forums, they arrive register post and that is often the last you hear from them. First post 2 minutes after registering, first reply to his post after 20 minutes yet over 10.5 hours and 12 replies later no response from the originator. I know people have to sleep but the first response was very quick in just under 20 minutes.

Sorry but I think Alan asked a valid question and if the post was a genuine one, what would be the problem in responding to Alan's question.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:38:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mrcomputer

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 04:13:11 AM »
I have been using Avast! Home for the last month and has been pleased with how it has been doing. I have not been registered with the forums until now. But for the past three weeks I have been searching and silently looking at various topics on the forum. Happy to be using such a solid product such as Avast! home but was just keeping my antivirus options open.

Mrcomputer

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 04:15:43 AM »
I wanted to get an opinion by users on this forum just to see what experiences people on this forum has had with other programs beside avast!. Besides why else would you be here unless you have had other antivirus programs and found out that they are terrible ;) or that this was the best of the best in at least some aspects. Sorry for not posting sooner, just really busy with my three summer college classes, drains a lot of my free time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »
I have tried many other AV programs but my search ended over two years ago when I tried avast, the most configurable and flexible AV I have used, not to mention no infections.

There are a number of functions that aren't available with other AV's, like P2P Shield, IM Shield, Web Shield, boot-time scan (depends on compatible OS), but you would have to do a direct comparison and ensure your personal needs/requirements are met.

Most people on the forums came from other AVs and have also settled for avast so any direct comparison is likely to be a little one sided.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mrcomputer

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 12:38:38 AM »
Sorry to raise suspicion with my first post but I did not reply soon because of a busy schedule for my college summer term. But I join and posted soon after joining because I was looking at the other comodo products and wondered how was the antivirus. I lik e the options and shields that Avast gives but the detection rate that I have look at from various sources kind of made me worry but i have not ad any problems yet so I will stick with what works. Thanks for the helpful and quick responses. Surfing safe on the internet.  8)

Mr.Computer

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 12:47:03 AM »
Sorry to raise suspicion with my first post but I did not reply soon because of a busy schedule for my college summer term. But I join and posted soon after joining because I was looking at the other comodo products and wondered how was the antivirus. I lik e the options and shields that Avast gives but the detection rate that I have look at from various sources kind of made me worry but i have not ad any problems yet so I will stick with what works. Thanks for the helpful and quick responses. Surfing safe on the internet.  8)

Mr.Computer

My opinion exactly it works for me and has done so for many years with no sniff of an infection