Author Topic: End of scan message...  (Read 8399 times)

S.Z.Craftec

End of scan message...
« on: December 30, 2003, 07:41:21 AM »
Every single time when I perform system scan (all local disks scan), I get this summary at the end:

I really don't understand why is that happening... If I perform single check of every single file from that list, quess what ?

Nothing... Avast! won't report any suspicious action or give me a notice that one or all of those files from the "RESULTS OF LAST SCAN" list are corrupted... nothing at all.

I'm pretty sure that those Macromedia files are not corrupted... I have an original installation CD.
...and... why is Avast! unable to scan that 3rd file from the list ? ...it says: error 0x0000A44E. Is that maybe 'cause I hadn't included CAB extension in my ADDITIONAL EXTENSIONS option under resident task settings ? I just added these: ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,ECE
...and under SCAN FILES ON OPEN: WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 06:46:51 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:End of scan message...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 07:53:45 AM »
cab should be added anyway  :) Mcafee Virex for Mac found a virus in a cab file before on my G5. I added it to be safe on windows as well.

I dont know why the other 2 arent scanned but IF they are corrupt and you have the CD why not see if a reinstall will help
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 10:37:53 AM »
OK, I'll try...
Another one...

What I have to do to set my Avast scans every post I wanna read, when i visit some newsgroups using Outlook Express 6 ? Is it set automaticaly or I have to make some additional moves ?

One day, I was visiting one newsgroup and clicked at one post I was interested in. Avast doesn't report anything to me, even I saw very next day a reply from one guy saying: "Don't open this post, it's infected with... blah,blah,blah". I can't remember what was the name of that virus...

When I put Avast to perform full system check, at the end of the test, it seems like everything is fine... no viruses... I don't know...

Also, when I try to perform FREE ONLINE VIRUS/TROJAN CHECK at the Trend Micro (PC-Cillin), my Internet Explorer 6 just crashes and gives me a message: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." It never happened before. I remember I was able to do online virus check before without any problem...

What's happening ?

Regards !

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure that those Macromedia files are not corrupted... I have an original installation CD.

This problem is well-known, java files (.jar) are ZIP archives and they don't store CRC value in those files (WinZIP, WinRAR will show also an error message).

why is Avast! unable to scan that 3rd file from the list ? ...it says: error 0x0000A44E. Is that maybe 'cause I hadn't included CAB extension in my ADDITIONAL EXTENSIONS option under resident task settings ?

It means, there're two readme.txt files in the CAB archive about different size (just information/warning something could be wrong) - we'll add resource text or I'll not show that error...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 12:54:44 PM »
Every single time when I perform system scan (all local disks scan), I get this summary at the end:

I really don't understand why is that happening... If I perform single check of every single file from that list, quess what ?

Nothing... Avast! won't report any suspicious action or give me a notice that one or all of those files from the "RESULTS OF LAST SCAN" list are corrupted... nothing at all.

...and... why is Avast! unable to scan that 3rd file from the list ? ...it says: error 0x0000A44E. Is that maybe 'cause I hadn't included CAB extension in my ADDITIONAL EXTENSIONS option under resident task settings ? I just added these: ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,KN,KD,ECE
...and under SCAN FILES ON OPEN: WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*

You can edit your extensions list, removing the ones that does not exist at all (for instance, KN and KD)?!?

Anyway, the error are not related to these lists as you can see for pk's post  ;D
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 04:11:40 PM »
Technical wrote:
You can edit your extensions list, removing the ones that does not exist at all (for instance, KN and KD)?!?

Anyway, the error are not related to these lists as you can see for pk's post  

The problem is... I took your advice from some of your previous replies http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2140 what extensions should we put inside ADDITIONAL EXTENSIONS box.
I can clearly see now, that you changed that part of post by erasing some of extensions you wrote in the first place... I was just following your advice to Sowen...
Technical wrote (old reply):
Sowen, if it helps, I suggest you add:

ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,KN,KD,ECE
to the aditional extensions list and

WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*
to be scanned on open (besides the WSH script).

Three things to go:

1.) Can someone help with "virus scanning newsgroup posts in Outlook Express" issue I talked about in my last reply ?
2.) Same thing with "FREE ONLINE VIRUS/TROJAN CHECK at the Trend Micro (PC-Cillin)" issue I wrote about... I also have the same problem with any other ONLINE virus scanner...  ???
3.) I really need advice what options should I check, to customize STANDARD SHIELD under Scanner (BASIC) card ? I checked them all, but I just don't want my PC to act too slow when opening every single file... just tell me are all those options a must ?

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 06:57:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 01:02:13 AM »
Technical wrote: You can edit your extensions list, removing the ones that does not exist at all (for instance, KN and KD)?!?
The problem is... I took your advice from some of your previous replies http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2140

Sorry, my lists were wrong too  ;D
I have already edited my first post.

Three things to go:
1.) Can someone help with "virus scanning newsgroup posts in Outlook Express" issue I talked about in my last reply?

I'm lazy today  ;D Could you post a short message with your troubles?  ;)

2.) Same thing with "FREE ONLINE VIRUS/TROJAN CHECK at the Trend Micro (PC-Cillin)" issue I wrote about... I also have the same problem with any other ONLINE virus scanner...  ???

I do not use on-line scanner... Anyway, if you need suggestions, see here at section On-line Viruses Tests

3.) I really need advice what options should I check, to customize STANDARD SHIELD under Scanner (BASIC) card ? I checked them all, but I just don't want my PC to act too slow when opening every single file... just tell me are all those options a must ? Thanks in advance !

If you disable the option to scan the created/modified files, your system will improve its performance but you will be a little less protected. I think there is no other way: protection requires resourses of the system...  :-\ You can choose the situation you fell 'comfortable'. I suggest, you allow all options of the basic settings and not the advanced ones (or, at last, disable the scanning or created/modified files and allow only the script scanning).

Hope it helps.  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 07:43:56 AM »
One more thing...

Is it necessary to have BASIC MAILSAFE option in ZoneAlarm enabled, although I keep Internet Mail provider in Avast! enabled all the time ? I mean, are those two going to kill each other and drastically slow everything down, or it just doesn't matter at all ?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 08:34:35 AM »
the mailsafe just blocks all attachments of a certin extension I would turn it off as i get files with .exe and thats what it blocks
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 11:44:08 AM »
I'm quite sure the Basic email blocker of ZoneAlarm has a minimmum impact in performance... you can let it checked and use simultaneously avast! Internet Mail.

Do you use RAM defragmentation besides HDD defrag?  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 03:16:59 PM »
RAM Defragmentation ? Every day regularly. I use System mechanic 4, option OPTIMIZE/DEFRAGMENT MEMORY (defragment RAM and recovery RAM).
My target RAM is set to 240 Mb, and Auto trigger to 95 Mb (My PC runs with 384 Mb DDRAM)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:17:31 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 06:39:56 PM »
RAM Defragmentation ? Every day regularly. I use System mechanic 4, option OPTIMIZE/DEFRAGMENT MEMORY (defragment RAM and recovery RAM).
My target RAM is set to 240 Mb, and Auto trigger to 95 Mb (My PC runs with 384 Mb DDRAM)

Aren't your targets so high? and then the program try to defrag RAM when it's not necessary yet? I don't know but I suggest you test others configurations. By the way, FreeRam XP Pro 1.40 is quite an excellent program with a lot of features...  ;)

With 384 Mb of RAM and without playing games or using applications which consume a lot of RAM, your performance shoundn't be affected by avast (which, at most, will use 10-12% of your RAM).

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 04:58:10 PM »
Aren't your targets so high? and then the program try to defrag RAM when it's not necessary yet? I don't know but I suggest you test others configurations. By the way, FreeRam XP Pro 1.40 is quite an excellent program with a lot of features...  

With 384 Mb of RAM and without playing games or using applications which consume a lot of RAM, your performance shoundn't be affected by avast (which, at most, will use 10-12% of your RAM).

Oh Technical, I don't know...
I set my target on 128 Mb, and trigger at 63 Mb, but I've disabled trigger latter... I really don't need that option, 'cause I noticed that I really don't have problems with my memory dropping, and System Mechanic working in the background, just eats some of memory. Now it's disabled and everything is fine, buy I still perform RAM defragmentation sometimes (manually).

Regards!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:59:06 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 03:46:27 PM »
Sasha, good choice!  ;)