Author Topic: Norton Removal  (Read 5924 times)

justin1278

Norton Removal
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:55:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just got a new computer and it came with Norton Internet Security 2006 and I removed it with the Symantec NRT. However the Windows Security Center still detects that Norton Internet Worm Protection is not running. How can I get it to detect my firewall "Comodo" and get rid of the rest of Norton on my system. This is such a pain, I have handled viruses that came off easier then this crappy software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Norton Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:07:56 AM »
Justin, are you sure it isn't easy and better just format and start installing Windows all over again keepping miles from the 'bad' guy  ;D ;)
Is there any Symantec product that left in your Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet?
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:15:33 AM »
Ha ha very funny Tech. No there is no Norton/Symantec products that I have found on my system in Add or Remove Programs.

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:44:02 AM »
Hi,

I also tryed disabling the Security Center (thanks to Turkey for that idea and instructions on how to do it) but it didn't work. Now the Security Center detects either Windows Firewall being on (it's not on) or Norton Internet Worm Protection being off (and I uninstalled it).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:56:32 AM »
Now the Security Center detects either Windows Firewall being on (it's not on)
It's becoming exciting  ;D
Well, a blind (Security Center) guiding another blind (Windows Firewall).

or Norton Internet Worm Protection being off (and I uninstalled it).
For sure, Symantec has another poor uninstaller  :P

justin1278

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:27:13 AM »
Hi Tech,

I reinstalled the trial (against my will) and used just the Symantec NRT and it uninstalled the program but Windows Security Center still detected Norton as a Firewall and Antivirus program. So I reinstalled it again! and then I just used the add or remove programs uninstalled and this time it worked. I have no idea why though. But at least its off my system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 01:43:29 PM »
I have no idea why though.
Symantec NRT is INDEED thought to be used AFTER the Control Panell Add/Remove programs...

But at least its off my system.
Wow  :D

I have this is the past. I've installed avast, then 3 on-demand (non-resident) scanners.
Security Center detects avast and not the others... everything was fine.
When I have to uninstall avast, boot, install again, the *fantastic* Security Center detected Antivir as resident. *hit  :P
I've uninstalled it and boot.
Then the *fantastic* Security Center detected AVG  :P
The same... uninstalling...
Then the *fantastic* Security Center detected nothing...
Then uninstall avast... still no detection...
Believe or not, I have to reinstall Windows  :-*

drhayden1

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
hey tech........basically you are right! to get all the norton "scum" off your computer.............had to do it on the desktop i used to have(reinstall the windows and drivers)then put on avast! and no problem after that........clean system and avast! protected.............................have a good one 8) ;D ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:06:31 PM by drhayden1 »

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »
Tech that is what I did originaly, used NRT after uninstall but that didn't work...