Author Topic: My computer is infected but Avast can not find a thing  (Read 13340 times)

DaveD

Re: My computer is infected but Avast can not find a thing
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »
First, give McAfee AVERT Stinger a try.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Second, give McAfee Command Line Scanner a try.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/virus-4d.aspx
Download: win_betaengdat.zip

- extract to "C:\Scan\" you will have to create that folder
- click Start, Run, type "cmd" without quotes and click OK
- type "cd\" press enter
- type "cd scan" press enter
- type "scan /ad /all /analyze /clean /mime /program /unzip /winmem /html c:\results.html" press enter

The scan may take a while. It will provide you with the results in the command line as well as create an HTML file of detailed results on the C drive.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: My computer is infected but Avast can not find a thing
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 11:25:20 PM »
Not a large amount I would suspect as we have now pointed him in the direction of a number of them.

However, with XP many are logged in using accounts with administrator privileges. Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc. This may have stopped this malware from getting a foothold.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator. This obviously applies to those NT based OSes that have administrator settings, winNT, win2k, winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security