Author Topic: Can't access Avast! program directory anymore  (Read 46232 times)

Oceanwaves

Can't access Avast! program directory anymore
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
Hi,

I'm running Avast! Home Edition on Windows 2000. When I started my system today I noticed that the Avast! icon didn't appear in system tray. Also the desktop icon had changed to the Windows default icon.

When I tried to access the Avast! program directory under D:\Programe\Alwil Software\Avast4 I got an "Access denied" message.

However, when I take a look at the running services, everything seems to be ok:

- avast! Antivirus
- avast! iAVS4 Control Service
- avast! Mail Scanner
- avast! Web Scanner

are all running.

But I still can't access the program directory or uninstall avast! I also tried to stop all avast! services, but still no go.

Any ideas?

Oceanwaves

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't access Avast! program directory anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
This folder permissions did happen with an earlier version of avast, so this may be the issue here.

Download the latest version 4.7.844 and save it to your HDD. Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save that also.

Try to uninstall avast using the add remove programs, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hanselel

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »
After the programm got updated this morning I'm having the same problem. I'm not able to access the folder anymore, but the process is still running.
I did what you said and uninstalled it, than downloaded the newest version but again I'm not able to access the folder after reinstalling it.
Someone know what's going on?

Hanselel

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
Did you also use the avast uninstall utility as I suggested after add remove programs "uninstall avast using the add remove programs, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest version." That should be have been able to remove the avast folder. If you kill the running services can you access/delete the avast folder with relevant administrator privileges ?

I haven't used win2k so I'm unsure of this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hanselel

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »
What I did:
1: I tried to uninstall it via add/remove programs. Didn't work.
2: I used the avast uninstall utility and unistalled the program.
3: I restarted.
4: I downloaded the newest version and installed it.
5: I restarted once again.
But the problem is still there, I can't open the folder, the icon is missing and under process I have aswUpdSv.exe running. I only get error messages like "access denied" if I try to open the dektop Icon for example.

Hanselel

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 06:58:44 PM »
I'm sorry I don't know enough about win2k to help in getting past the folder access issue. Have you tried this as the administrator (sorry if this is an XP term).

Are these services running as you mentioned previously - avast! Antivirus - avast! iAVS4 Control Service - avast! Mail Scanner - avast! Web Scanner rather than just aswUpdSv.exe avast Update ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).

Have you tried a forum search for win2k and 4.7.287 or check the Beta sub forum of this forum. I can remember an issue with win2k access denied and some XP users with folder permissions.

Unlocker might be able to get rid of stubborn files/folders http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ is also good as it also has a few additional features to not only delete the files but stop any process that is stopping you from deleting a file.

hanselel

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:23 PM »
I have administer privileges. Update Avast is the only process running. Can I download an older avast version somewhere? I mean it was working before the update.

Hanselel

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:22:47 PM »
You could try filehippo.com, but I'm not sure that would resolve it as the permission issue is in place.

Oceanwaves

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
What I did:
1: I tried to uninstall it via add/remove programs. Didn't work.
2: I used the avast uninstall utility and unistalled the program.
3: I restarted.
4: I downloaded the newest version and installed it.
5: I restarted once again.
But the problem is still there, I can't open the folder, the icon is missing and under process I have aswUpdSv.exe running. I only get error messages like "access denied" if I try to open the dektop Icon for example.
Same for me, except that I can now access the Avast4 folder. But I can't start Avast! and the only process that's running is aswUpdSv.exe.

Just checked it again: I can access the Avast4! folder and the DATA folder. I get an "Access denied" on the folders GERMAN, images and Setup.

Seems the update broke Win2k support, at least on some systems  :(

Oceanwaves
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:03:58 PM by Oceanwaves »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
1. Can you post the screenshot of the Security tab of the properties of the file Avast4\ashDisp.exe ?

2. Is avast installed to your system drive (the Program Files folder), or a custom folder?

3. Aren't there any non-Latin characters in the avast folder pathname?

4. Are you guys all using Win2K? No XP users with this problem here?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

souslik

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
Hello Vlk,

Thanks for your reply as this seems to be a widespread problem with the update from 4th June.

> 1. Can you post the screenshot of the Security tab of the properties of the file Avast4\ashDisp.exe ?

I don't have access to the affected computer for now.

>2. Is avast installed to your system drive (the Program Files folder), or a custom folder?

custom folder.

>3. Aren't there any non-Latin characters in the avast folder pathname?

none. The path is "d:\wu\avast4\"

>4. Are you guys all using Win2K? No XP users with this problem here?

In my case, Win2K indeed.

Thanks for your help on this.

S.

hanselel

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
1. Can you post the screenshot of the Security tab of the properties of the file Avast4\ashDisp.exe ?

Sorry, I get an access denied error if I try to open the avast folder. Can't take a screenshot.

2. Is avast installed to your system drive (the Program Files folder), or a custom folder?

Custom Folder

3. Aren't there any non-Latin characters in the avast folder pathname?

No non-latin characters in the folder pathname

4. Are you guys all using Win2K? No XP users with this problem here?

Using Win2k SP4

Thanks for helping  :)

Hanselel
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:34:37 AM by hanselel »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 11:34:12 AM »
You said you had administrator privileges. Does this mean you used the built-in "Administrator" account, or another account that is part of the Administrators group? If the latter, could you please try to log on under Administrator?

It's really weird that you don't have even READ access to that folder... the "Everyone" group should be granted this...

Thanks
Vlk

hanselel

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:20 AM »
I have two accounts, one with user privileges and the administrator account. I tried it on both accounts and I don't have access to the folder on either of them.

Hanselel

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:10 AM »
Can you then take a screenshot of the Security tab of the parent folder?