Author Topic: Can't access Avast! program directory anymore  (Read 46233 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Can't access Avast! program directory anymore
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
Anyone who has this problem,

could you please try to update to the latest avast beta? It should have this issue resolved.

To install the beta, please run the program http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

okapi

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
I do have the same problems on my wife's Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system.
Only one user defined, the default administrator.
That situation is :

Avast icon had disappeared from system tray.
Avast folder  (C:\Alwil Software\Avast4 no longer accessible, access denied).
Tried to uninstall Avast to be able to reinstall; didn't work.
Downloaded and used the Alwil uninstall tool; worked.
Downloaded latest version of Avast 4.7
Reinstalled successfully. Got message asking if virus check should be done after restart. Answered :Yes.
Machine restarted.
No virus check starts.
No Avast icon appears in system tray.
Avast4 folder unaccessible (same as before).

I am stuck.
It seems to be a general problem.
Thank for any help. Running without an effective anti-virus is rather scarring.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 05:12:02 PM »
There are many reasons that the icon might go missing. As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Some of these will block new start-up entries such as the avast icon. However that doesn't explaint the permissions isue, so I would suggest you try the latest beta that Vlk mentioned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ulti

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »
Anyone who has this problem,

could you please try to update to the latest avast beta? It should have this issue resolved.

To install the beta, please run the program http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks
Vlk

Had the problem on a couple of machines, but with the beta all seems fine, thanks!

Might go slightly offtopic here, but I think it's partly related: before I found out about this thread I uninstalled avast and used the removal utility, but was unable to install the latest version which I tried to download twice from the download page. It stopped when it tried to move/extract files to <windir>\system32 and <windir>\system32\drivers, by using an install exe from ~2003 I was however able to install and update it to the latest versions + the beta.

Found some avast related, locked, registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001|ControlSet002|CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root, don't know if they had anything to do with it, but they weren't removed by the removal utility. I tried removing them by using regedt32, didn't solve the problem with installing the latest avast though.

The machines I had problems on were all running swedish editions of w2k sp4.

Anyways, all seems to be working now, thanks for a great program!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2006, 11:39:30 PM »
Vlk, can you confirm that there were two betas versions since the last avast! 4 Home/Pro Edition 4.7.844 of 31.5.2006?
I mean, now I have 4.7.863 and I think I had 4.7.855 some days ago... I think the 3/4 days I was out from forums, someone turn on my computer and avast updated... Can you say me something about this?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2006, 10:02:40 AM »
Yes, Vlk updates the betaversion occassionally. I think there's another (slightly bigger) update of the beta to appear soon.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »
Yes, Vlk updates the betaversion occassionally. I think there's another (slightly bigger) update of the beta to appear soon.
Maybe the 'Beta' forum could be used in these situations...  :-\
The best things in life are free.