Author Topic: Software Cleanup scans system even if uninstalled  (Read 4174 times)

Offline theunidada

Software Cleanup scans system even if uninstalled
« on: January 28, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »
SWCU scans my system once a week, figures out what i got installed and probably sends that info to the avast servers.
However, SWCU is supposed to be uninstalled while this all happens (in the settings under components it gives the option to "install component") and does so without consent and without showing me the results of the scan, all happening in background.
Was lucky to randomly stumble across the log file called "SWCUEngine" which quite obviously keeps log info about this. Was also able to capture disk activity during that process and sure enough, after the AvastSvc.exe finally finished unfolding part of the filesystem for entire minutes at 100% disk usage, i catched the file write operations that updated that log file.
I think swcu sends the results to the server because i found network activity to a thing called "r-247-58-45-5.ff.avast.com:http" right after the end of the scan sending 20k+ of data not sure if it's a coincidence.

How do i shutdown SWCU definitely?

Btw how did this get 2k views.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:25:41 PM by theunidada »

Offline theunidada

Re: Software Cleanup scans system even if uninstalled
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:50 PM »
Even after some updates this still happens. This is clearly an oversight and possibly a privacy violation. Anybody else noticing the same thing?