Author Topic: Virus definitions not updating  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Dennis46

Virus definitions not updating
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:35 AM »
Hello,

I using iMac with 10.12.6 maxOS.  Ever since program update to 13.4, my virus definitions have not updated.  The latest update was 01-24-02.  I'm using the Free version and have it set to Auto Update.  I've tried to manually update, but continue to get the message that the virus definitions are the latest.  I'm sure that the virus definitions have been update since then.

You help will be greatly appreciated!

Dennis

Offline Dennis46

Re: Virus definitions not updating
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Hello,

This is an Update.  After writing this message, this morning I used the update and my definition was updated to today's updated definition.  Quite surprising to me!  Not sure what happened ... after 5 days of no updates!  I'll keep an eye on this and report back if it stops again.

Dennis

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
thank you for the report - it was unfortunately real issue on our server. We fixed it asap. And I believe that we improved monitoring of similar situation for future.
Sorry for late reply - we focus on fixing the root cause, and forgot to let you know.

There is another (and faster channel) that provides updates to Avast AV - Streaming Updates. Our ThreatLabs delivers small updates via this channel every 5 minutes. It provides updates for the most critical malicious sites and detections. The regular virus definitions, that happen 2-3 times a day, then summarizes all the updates and include some other definitions that cannot be delivered via StreamingUpdates.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Dennis46

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:24:36 AM »
Hi Lukas,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Hey, just wanted to let you know that I've not gotten an update since 1-29-18.  Looks like the problem is still there!  In the past, I would get one to two updates a day.  Now it's only once every 3 days if that.  Please follow up and check into this.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
is it still an issue? I checked that the latest virus definitions are on servers (now).
Quality is also a feature.