Author Topic: Computer System Requirements  (Read 7368 times)

jbartos

Computer System Requirements
« on: June 11, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
Please, what are computer system requirements for Avast 4.x Home/Pro in terms of a minimum Intel Processor, minimum computer processor MHZ or GHZ clock speed, recommended CPU usage in % after it is installed and not running and running, available minimum amount of RAM memory and hard drive disk memory?
Thank you in advance. JoeB

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Computer System Requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:23:59 PM »
This would be a good place to start http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html, avast system requirements are quite modest in comparison with other AVs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:33:48 AM »
This would be a good place to start http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html, avast system requirements are quite modest in comparison with other AVs.

A 486??!!  :o I've installed Avast on many a system and I wouldn't advise anything less than a Pentium II with 64 MB's of memory, preferably 128. Avast 4.6 even impacted my Pentium III system with 384 MB's of memory! The only system I've seen absolutely no impact is my Best Friend's (Pentium 4, 1GB RAM) laptop.

Who wrote these minimum specs anyway?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 02:37:38 AM »
I think these are the minimum conditions for avast to work. Of course, the best is the system, the best it will run. avast is very configurable... I've used in a very old laptop with Windows 95 and used in a Pentium I either in the past... You can try Norton Antivirus in a 486  ;D
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:56:29 AM »
I think these are the minimum conditions for avast to work. Of course, the best is the system, the best it will run. avast is very configurable... I've used in a very old laptop with Windows 95 and used in a Pentium I either in the past... You can try Norton Antivirus in a 486  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Version 5.0 maybe, just maybe

Good point, tech. Most folks aren't going to know how to fully customize it, though and will rely on default settings. That's the only thing about that. Most likely you would hear: That (inset expletive here) Avast has turned my machine into molasses!!!  ;D

Also, I don't think most users would appreciate having to turn off services just to force Avast to ease up on the resources.

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:59:59 AM by ardvark »

TAP

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:25:18 AM »
I think avast! 4.7 has a big improvements regarding the speed optimization (faster in real-time performance) over avast! 4.6.xxx.

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:11:07 AM »
Hi TAP...

I don't think enough to allow a 486 or Pentium I to use all of its services without a serious impact in system responsiveness and speed.

Just my opinion, though. I've never tested Avast using the above two processors. I'm hypothesizing based upon my experiences with the Pentium II's.

Best Regards...

Negeltu

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 06:45:43 AM »
I've used avast on win98 systems with only 64mb of ram and it worked fine without notice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »

A 486??!!  :o I've installed Avast on many a system and I wouldn't advise anything less than a Pentium II with 64 MB's of memory, preferably 128. Avast 4.6 even impacted my Pentium III system with 384 MB's of memory! The only system I've seen absolutely no impact is my Best Friend's (Pentium 4, 1GB RAM) laptop.

That is a minimum spec, and avast should run on that, not to mention it will run on the older OSes also, unlike many of the other AVs. Windows also has a minimum specification, which many would consider unworkable, but it works albeit slow.

If you have lots of software installed and running on boot (you are going to run short on system resources), it makes a mockery of any minimum spec and you have to look at the collective minimum specs of your system to achieve what would be a realistic working specification. avast, can't determin what else you run on your system, it can only state a minimum for avast.

As for who sets the minimum specs, I guess someone at Alwil and I woud also assume that these specs are tested.

I don't have a hugely powerful system and avast makes virtually no impact on my system, but then it is well above the minimum spec for an XP OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:21:34 PM »
Hi DavidR...

You're system looks plenty powerful to me  ???

I suppose the term "minimum" is subjective but I see it as running with all options and services without drag of any kind, not "working but at a crawl." This is not including anything else loaded into memory but you can assume there there will be on any given system.

From the above standard and from what I have seen Avast do to a Pentium II and III, I just don't see a 486 with 32 MB's of RAM running Avast without major problems but again, I'm speaking with version 4.6 in mind, I have no experience with 4.7.

Just my opinion :)

Best Regards...